Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How were the counties defined?

Options
  • 12-07-2009 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

I know how the provinces were - they were kingdoms, right. But the counties seem very crookedy and arbitrarily defined. What's the story?

BTW I'd love a serious response, so phasers and smart arse noobs need not post lol ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

davyjose wrote: »
    BTW I'd love a serious response, so phasers and smart arse noobs need not post lol ;)
    Eh...... Good luck with that buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

rivers, mountains, lakes, family areas etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Mainly rivers and the likes. Most borders would be on a river or close to one, foothils of a mountain range or the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

No doubt the Brits were involved somewhere

...with their wiggledy roads and crookedy borders.800 years of torment....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

bleg wrote: »
    rivers, mountains, lakes, family areas etc...
    No doubt the Brits were involved somewhere

Alright there's your serious replies, can we take the piss now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

That's not really it at all, that's about the introduction of local county councils and slight amendments to some county boarders (If I'm reading it correctly)

If your looking for serious posts dont post in after hours.
    They were done with rivers,lakes,terrain,landmarks. The rest was refined later on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If your looking for serious posts dont post in after hours.
    They were done with rivers,lakes,terrain,landmarks. The rest was refined later on.

You just proved yourself wrong all in one post.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm guessing inbreeding.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

davyjose wrote: »
    smart arse

Always glad to be of assistance 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I blame the GAA.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

galwayrush wrote: »
    I blame the GAA.:pac:
    The Grab All Association?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its the straight lines of of some US states and arab and africa countries thats mad, widdegly lines make sense if your going to have borders at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They just looked at the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The idea of counties was first introduced to Ireland following the Anglo-Norman invasion in the twelfth century. At that time 12 counties were defined in Leinster and Munster. From that time until the mid sixteenth century county borders were not well defined reflecting the weakness of English control during that period. During the reign of Elizabeth 1 the counties of, Longford, Clare, Galway, Sligo, Mayo, Roscommon, Leitrim, Armagh, Monaghan (1585), Tyrone, Derry, Donegal, Fermanagh (1585), and Cavan were formed. But still the county borders were not very clearly set out. However, improvements in mapping gradually resulted in the counties as we know them today. Wicklow, surveyed and distinguished into a county in 1606, was the last county to be formed.

Advertisement