Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail - €10 return tickets

Options
  • 12-07-2009 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

I travel from Longford to Dublin frequently and avail of the €10 return tickets. However whenever I travel on Sundays I cannot get a ticket at Longford as there is no one in the station. There is always one IR guy at the station who tells us to get the tickets on the train, but there is regularly no ticket checker on the train either.

When I arrive in Connolly the guy tells me that I cannot get the €10 ticket here and then after I told him I had travelled from Connolly, he told me they were not available on Sunday. I have since checked the website and it doesn't state they are not available on Sunday's. He wouldn't let me through the gates and forced me to pay the 60+ euro for me and my 2 brothers.

So basically I am trying to avoid the same situation today, are the €10 tickets available on sunday and if they can't provide them on the train or at Longford, should they provide them in Connolly?

Regards,
    Darren

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

I was curious about these tickets too and I checked it out. Until very recently these were only available Monday to Friday. Now they are available 7 days a week, even though it is not very explicit about this (it says 'which will be available every day of the week ' at http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=454).

I phoned up the local station and they confirmed it was 7 days a week. However you must collect the ticket in the station of departure - so it seems to me the problem is with the station in Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

NedNew wrote: »
    I was curious about these tickets too and I checked it out. Until very recently these were only available Monday to Friday. Now they are available 7 days a week, even though it is not very explicit about this (it says 'which will be available every day of the week ' at http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=454).

I phoned up the local station and they confirmed it was 7 days a week. However you must collect the ticket in the station of departure - so it seems to me the problem is with the station in Longford.

AFAIK they are only available during booking office open hours plus whatever other time restrictions in the morning time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

You could book them online earlier in advance, and say you want to pick them up at Connolly - and you should be able to use the automatic machine there and get your tickets for your next trip.

At any rate, I presume one can pick up prebooked tickets in advance of day of travel, and when I book Limk-Dub online it offers me the option of collecting the tickets in stations other than Limerick.

Advertisement