Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil for a beech bread board

Options
  • 12-07-2009 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I have just made a large bread board out a big piece of left over solid beech counter top. I'm not sure what type of oil, if any, to rub into the wood. I planed it and then sanded it to remove any residue of varnish etc, so it is down to naked wood. The thinking process about oiling it is to lessen water and smells sinking in, warping over time etc. Any recommendations? The piece of wood is three quarters of an inch thick. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

one of thoes nut oils that are edible perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 shadey

Thanks mp22, but I might end up killing someone with a nut allergy!! I've read about people using some kind of chemist grade oil or mineral oil, these dont turn rancid like the olive oils etc, and are safe to use so I might look into one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,443 ✭✭✭✭Alun

shadey wrote: »
    Thanks mp22, but I might end up killing someone with a nut allergy!! I've read about people using some kind of chemist grade oil or mineral oil, these dont turn rancid like the olive oils etc, and are safe to use so I might look into one of them.
    Often on the net (mainly US sites) you see to use 'mineral oil', which over here is called liquid paraffin. Don't worry it's not paraffin like you'd put in a paraffin stove, it's something totally different. Used as a cure for constipation, and obtainable in any pharmacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 shadey

Thanks Alun. I have some of that, did not know that was the translation!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

didn't know that about the mineral oil either.. I thought the liquid parafin would be a bit like firelighters, I love that smell..

The other possible oil you could try would be Chestnut food safe oil, used by turners a lot I think, on bowls and that... I have used it and it isn't as hard or as thick as Danish oil but I'm not an expert by any means..

I'd just use normal Dansih oil to be honest, is this considered unsafe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

It took me ages to find out that mineral oil, as it is called in the states, is liquid parrafin over here. It's about €5 for a 500ml bottle and you can get it in most chemists although some will look at you like you are crazy.
    The general rule for chopping boards is oil them once a day for a week then once a week for a month then once a month for a year then once a year for life.
    There are lots of things out there about what not to use on a chopping board but for every body that says not to use something there is somebody saying that they use it all the time and they have never had a problem.
    It makes sense that vegetable oils will go rancid but if you use the board everyday then it will never have a chance to.
    Nut allergies scare the crap out of me so I would personally stay away from that. I have heard that people with severe nut allergies can be allergic to walnut wood in chopping boards.

your milage may vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stanirish

Hi, would advise Chestnut Products Foodsafe as below

Food Safe Finish

Food Safe Finish is a clear food grade oil for use with salad bowls, cheese boards and other items which come into contact with foodstuffs. It dries to a soft satin finish with a high degree of water resistance which will withstand wiping with a damp cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

I use walnut oil on my cutting boards and wooden spoons, keep it stored in the fridge.
    Pure linseed and safflower oil would work BTW safflower being flavourless and colourless may have an added benefit.;)

Advertisement