Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I commute or stay near U.L.

Options
  • 12-07-2009 5:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭

Hey all, not going to U.L. yet but doing some research at the mo. I live in Clonmel or at least I will be when I return home from Ecuador. I am very familiar with traveling to Kilkenny, Waterford and Cork but I rarely ever had reason to drive to Limerick. I think that you can just get to Limerick (the outskirts) in one hour. I'm not sure how much the petrol would work out at, and would I have to pay for parking at U.L.?? But I suppose it would be much more practical to stay near by. Anybody got any relevent experience or advice on this?? Also I constantly read about all these student villages offered at/near U.L., do good ol' digs exist anymore?? Not with breakfast, but maybe a meal in the evening. I'm an older gentleman (29!! aaagh!!!) non drinker so don't want to be shacked up with first years or people who are always on the lash. Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I would definitely stay nearer to UL. The road from Clonmel to Limerick is a terrible road and you'll quickly get tired of driving back and forth every day. After 9.30 you'll find it very difficult to get free parking which is something else that will just add to the frustration. I know you said that you're a non drinker but if a gig or something came up that you wanted to go to you'd soon find it frustrating at being an hour away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Clonmel is a hello of a commute....probably peanuts compared to some Dublin commutes, but annoying all the same. I know a student who commuted from Tulla for 5 years, and still does every now and again, but lives near college now.

I also know someone who commuted from Tipp, and will continue to do so for work now, but that's a 7am start. If you can handle a 7:30am on the road commute to be in for 8:15ish and get parking, then by all means go for it. No harm in trying for 1 semester anyway.

I wouldn't do it. I commuted 4 miles and found it a pain, but then again, that's cross city, so took about as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tones66

If u want to have a life stay near ul...you have all ur life to drive and commute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Yeah, I kind of asked the question thinking that it would be a headwreck to do it everyday. I don't think it would work out any cheaper either. Still, I had to ask. Any thoughts on the digs situation??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Yeah, I kind of asked the question thinking that it would be a headwreck to do it everyday. I don't think it would work out any cheaper either. Still, I had to ask. Any thoughts on the digs situation??

I had a housemate who used to commute from Thurles, and tbh, he rarely went in as a result. The days were really long on him, and he found it better to stay at home and study on his own [nerd and all that he was (sorry Vuk), that was tough going when it came to projects etc].

I still think that digs are available, try daft.ie, or the accommodation forum here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=975

The accommodation office should also be able to provide a list.

• Advertisement
Advertisement