Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what will happen if.......

Options
  • 12-07-2009 3:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

what will happen if i try to boil an empty kettle.....???:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Try it and record it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

As far as i know, the element (bar at the bottom of the kettle) will just cut out after a few seconds....seeing as it's designed to know when wat has reached boiling point and cut out, it will far quicker reach that temprature point on it's on and cut out. But it may damage it and destroy the kettle...if the element burns out or is damaged, then the kettle is usless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It'll break. Also don't try to boil an egg in a kettle, and don't put wash up liquid in there. Basically any "what if...?" question involving a kettle or a microwave should be left uninvestigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

It'll break. Also don't try to boil an egg in a kettle, and don't put wash up liquid in there. Basically any "what if...?" question involving a kettle or a microwave should be left uninvestigated.

I was gonna ask what happens if you boil a kettle in a microwave...there goes that idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

In a word ; explosion.

Even Brainiac don't dare to do that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

sugarman wrote: »
    I'd imagine it'd explode and you'd end up picking chunks of metal out of your face for the next six months and be left with big puffy fish lips bigger than the rest of your face.

Like Father Bigley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

I'd imagine it'd explode and you'd end up picking chunks of metal out of your face for the next six months and be left with big puffy fish lips bigger than the rest of your face.
    Like Fr. Bigley? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Exactly Like Fr Bigley.

Maybe that's what happened to him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

mental07 wrote: »
    Like Fr. Bigley? :P

i was looking for that vid to put with this thread but couldnt find it ! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

nope i found that one...

thats not the full one mate :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Try boiling a kettle with petrol in it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Ruu wrote: »
    Like Father Bigley?
    Exactly Like Fr Bigley.
    mental07 wrote: »
    Maybe that's what happened to him?

Oh God.

Oh God, I f*cking love the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Tape the switch to 'on' on an empty kettle. That could be fun. Wonder how tomatoes would react in there? Would they mulch down or just explode or shrivell? Get back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Try boiling a kettle with cooking oil in it

I still like the egg-in-a-kettle idea. Makes way more sense than fish-in-a-kettle.

In answer to the original question, nothing will happen so long as the kettle is closely supervised.

Also, weirdly, I'd been listening to a song about Kettles when I saw this thread.

Of which there surely aren't all that many. "Speak of the Kettles...", I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Try boiling a kettle with petrol in it :eek:

has to be in a microwave though, much safer i think...............;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

robbie_998 wrote: »
    what will happen if i try to boil an empty kettle.....???:confused::confused::confused:

You get one angry female tied to the kitchen sink trying to kill you with her chain!

Wadi ya expect! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Should I boil it again?

No, I liked it better the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

You know what, I wonder what would happened if you put cofee beans in the kettle :D

You would get..Tofee? Aha! I knew that's how they made it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭g-whizz

[Jackass] wrote: »
    As far as i know, the element (bar at the bottom of the kettle) will just cut out after a few seconds....seeing as it's designed to know when wat has reached boiling point and cut out, it will far quicker reach that temprature point on it's on and cut out. But it may damage it and destroy the kettle...if the element burns out or is damaged, then the kettle is usless...

no it won't. a kettle reads the temperature of the water, and then stops, not by the temperature of the element.

So we actually still haven't established what would happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Ruu wrote: »
    Like Father Bigley?

Who's he . . . . . . I was thinking more along the lines of Brian cowen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

My father managed to do something like this.

He boiled the kettle and didn't put the lid down, all the water boiled off, the kitchen was full of smoke and it blew a fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

[Jackass] wrote: »

No, the kettle knows the water is boiled by steam. When water boils, the stream rises up into a channel in the kettle and there's a switch/sensor in there that knocks the kettle up. That's what sometimes when you try to boil another load in a kettle just after boiling, the switch won't stay on... there's still water in the cut out switch/sensor

You're just trying to stop us inventing something awesome. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

JohnCleary wrote: »
    knocks the kettle up.

:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Have you tried putting the kettle in a saucepan of water on the hob and boiling it?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

what happens if you put coke and mentos in the kettle???????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

What if you put a kettle in another kettle and boiled it?

Apparently a microwaved bar of soap produces hilarious results.

Advertisement