Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamo whisper a good starter?

Options
  • 12-07-2009 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Ok so after a long and deep delve into the sport that is air rifles, I have decided to start off the right and legal way.

I will talk to the Sargent in my local Garda station soon and start off the licence process as I would really like to buy a Gamo Whisper, or similar spec in .177 cal, I dont need a .22 as I will only be using it strictly for target shooting in my own back yard, which is very private
    surrounded by farmlad and a mountain covered in forrest, the perfect plinking garden!

But I would like to know where can I buy one in Ireland, I think there is a hunting shop in galway that may sell them but i cant find it on-line,or can they only be imported in to a shop here? I would like to know the place that im buying from so I can inform the gardai of the exact air rifle I intend to get.

Then i think by law I require a fitted gun safe? I have seen these on-line in galway for e200 or so including delivery and e60 to get it fitted, so that seems easy!

So any sound advice is welcome from others already in the sport here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you're looking to do target shooting with an air rifle, I wouldn't start with one of those. Apart from the ISSF air rifles, which might not be your cup of tea, you could try something like the Air Arms MPR, which can do ISSF or other disciplines.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭chrisjdoran

Now they are fine items indeed, but they are pretty dear for a starting target rifle, thanks for the response dude, i'm off to do some more research on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Ok so after a long and deep delve into the sport that is air rifles, I have decided to start off the right and legal way.

I will talk to the Sargent in my local Garda station soon and start off the licence process as I would really like to buy a Gamo Whisper, or similar spec in .177 cal, I dont need a .22 as I will only be using it strictly for target shooting in my own back yard, which is very private
    surrounded by farmlad and a mountain covered in forrest, the perfect plinking garden!

But I would like to know where can I buy one in Ireland, I think there is a hunting shop in galway that may sell them but i cant find it on-line,or can they only be imported in to a shop here? I would like to know the place that im buying from so I can inform the gardai of the exact air rifle I intend to get.

Then i think by law I require a fitted gun safe? I have seen these on-line in galway for e200 or so including delivery and e60 to get it fitted, so that seems easy!

So any sound advice is welcome from others already in the sport here!

Were are you based ? any decent firearms dealer should be able to get you one in. Seen and held one there a few weeks back lovely little rifle.

The shop in galway was it duffys? http://www.shoot.ie/

As for 60 euro to get it fitted are you Mad, get yourself a good hammer drill line up your safe mark off your guide holes and away you go. DIY all the way save the 60 quid and put it towards a scope and rings..

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭chrisjdoran

Were are you based ? any decent firearms dealer should be able to get you one in. Seen and held one there a few weeks back lovely little rifle.

The shop in galway was it duffys? http://www.shoot.ie/

As for 60 euro to get it fitted are you Mad, get yourself a good hammer drill line up your safe mark off your guide holes and away you go. DIY all the way save the 60 quid and put it towards a scope and rings..

I hear ya riflehunter, 60 quid on ammo more like, I will fit it myself no probs, i just thought it mite be part of the regulations to have it installed!

And yes it was indeed duffys, I'm in Co.Leitrim, so it's a short drive to Galway..

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Good luck with it hope your application does not take to long.

• Advertisement
Advertisement