Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking For A Female Kitten!

Options
  • 12-07-2009 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hey guys & gals,

My boyfriend and I are looking for a female kitten between 8 and 13 weeks old.

We are located in Cork city, but can probably travel some, depending on where you are.

We are going on holidays soon and will be unable to take a new kitten until the 21st, which is Tuesday week or later.

We currently have an adorable 12 week old female kitten, called Socks (see attached pictures, or click her name for a gallery). She is very lively with a big personality and thinks fingers and toes are things to fight with all night biggrin.gif

But I work a few hours during the week, my boyfriend works full-time and, although we do spend a huge amount of time with her, she gets lonely sometimes when we're not around. Its killing us to hear her cry even when I'm only going to the bathroom, or we're heading out of the house for a little while.

So, we're hoping to get a kitten of similar age, preferably one with as big a personality as her to play with, so they can play and keep each other company.

We are both cat lovers and would care for another kitten as well as we are caring for Socks right now.

Also we would definetely spay her around 12 weeks, as Socks will be spayed in the next few weeks.

And the day after I get back from hols, Socks will be going to the vet to get her second round of shots so you can be guaranteed if we do take another li'l kitten she would get her first shots then too.

So if you have any female kittens around this age feel free to post up cute pics etc. and your location.

As I said we will be looking to take in a kitten around the 21st, so get posting guys and gals, I know there are alot of healthy & lively kittens out there just waiting for a good home, and a sister to play with.

And we'd like one of those beautiful moggies if you please! :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Check out the Good Homes wanted sticky at the top of the forum, lots of kittens needing homes i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sweetnjuicy

Did, and theres a few but not many in my area.

So hopefully people will see this post and throw up the pics and info :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

Hi Sweetnjuicy,
    Your little kitty is sooo lovely..she looks soo sweet..
    You can try to contact: http://www.animalcaresociety.ie/
    They have lots and lots of kittens at the moment and they are dying to find a home for them.. Hope you can find a nice companion for Socks... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Is Dublin too far for you?

We have a six week old black and white who will be ready to go prob around the 30th when shes over nine weeks.

Theres a few pics of her (and her family) from an old thread of mine... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055607400

Keep her in mind if you don't have any luck around Cork.
    Best of luck.

Dublin is quite far as I dont ahve my own transport and would have to beg a friend who would prob not drive that far for me :(

But she is really really cute.

I had a look at shelters but I'd rather not get a kitten from a bad background, as they tend to be very timid and Sock's gets very excited about every hting so they would not get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Anna88

Kittens from shelters are just as bouncy as kittens from "normal" back rounds.
    And maybe socks could bring it out of its shell...ye never know!!
    Oh...I speak from experience, not just ranting :D

I agree with Anna88. Kittens are in general very playful and bouncy. If you go to a shelter you can do only good. You adopt a little fellow that desperately needs a good home and you help the shelter to be able to rescue others in need.
    I won't worry to adopt a kitty from shelter particularly at that small age. Kittens adapt very quickly particularly if there are other cats around.. That's why the term: Copy cat! You dont loose anything to go and see the cats, and you can pick and talk to the shelter about their personality, then you can decide. Usually, my friends say they pick the 1st one that comes to you..
    Maybe you will end up adopting more than one!!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

But I work a few hours during the week, my boyfriend works full-time and, although we do spend a huge amount of time with her, she gets lonely sometimes when we're not around. Its killing us to hear her cry even when I'm only going to the bathroom, or we're heading out of the house for a little while.
    I would not be too worried about a clingy kitten in her first few weeks. Our kitten was like yours, always crying and clawing at the doors if you went away, or even went into the next room. Our kitten grew out of that within a few weeks.

Thats another thing I'm afraid of.
    Socks was part of a litter of 4 girls and I almost took 2 the day I got her, but because it was quite clear they were big bullys, we just took her instead.
    And my BF might possibly kill me if i come home with more than one this time.

But anywho, can anyone reccommend shelters etc in the cork area?
    I'll give anything a go once :rolleyes:

Been looking at shellters websites and not many seem to have kittens at the mo :(

Sometimes shelters do not have time to update and put all the pics and info of animals on their website.
    You can try to call them directly and arrange a day/time to come and see the cats.. The one I gave you: http://www.animalcaresociety.ie/ rescued too many animals, and lots of them are in foster care where they socialize, play etc... I know how those folks work and if they were not good, I wont recommend. They are very dedicated to every single pet they rescue, and they are just very overloaded..
    Regarding the bully, sometimes we human see it that way (maybe because we can be overprotective) but with kittens, this is mainly play-fight. Some have stronger personality than others.
    I find that website very useful: http://cats.about.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Thats another thing I'm afraid of.
    Socks was part of a litter of 4 girls and I almost took 2 the day I got her, but because it was quite clear they were big bullys, we just took her instead.

As the poster before me said its just play fighting, as I'm typing this my three kittens and knocking the crap out of each other and the smallest, the black and white one I was talking about yesterday, is the instigator. Its the sign of healthy well brought up kittens, not bully behaviour.

Also if you have no luck with shelters try gumtree....... http://cork.gumtree.ie/cork/Cork-pets_3899_1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Is there any way you could get the train to Dublin? Or do you know anyone here who could help you out? I was in the DSPCA on Thursday and the had quite a number of adorable kitties who were begging me to take them home!

And believe me, a rescue kitten will be no different to any other, I got my Minnie from the DSPCA in October and she is ridiculously full of beans all the time! Huge personality, I love her to bits.

I am sure any of your local shelters will have a few coming in in the next month or so. Good luck!

I may possibly have found a kitten, would was rescued by a woman in my area who works for animal care society :)

Will let you all know how it goes and post pics very soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

I would not be too worried about a clingy kitten in her first few weeks. Our kitten was like yours, always crying and clawing at the doors if you went away, or even went into the next room. Our kitten grew out of that within a few weeks.

My kitten was the same he would lose his life in we even left the room- now when im leaving i dont even get a look:D

I may possibly have found a kitten, would was rescued by a woman in my area who works for animal care society :)

Will let you all know how it goes and post pics very soon :)
    That is furtastic news! Hope Socks and the new one will have lots of fun time together, and you are happy with them... Post some pics for us :P

hey guys,

just a lil update.
    Just got pics of my new kitten which will be coming to live with me next tues, all going well with the adoption etc :)

Her name is charlie, which I was gonna change at first but it totally suits her.
    She's as cheeky as Sock's and just as lively and active so they'll get on great together I hope.
    They will be meeting each other for the first time either tonight or tomorro so fingers crossed they will get on.

So heres my first pic of charlie :D

wahooo..am so happy for you and Charlie looks so so cute.. You will have sooo sooo much fun with them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭annefitzy

Just said I would say hi to Charlie.....

Anne(the homechecker from hell) xxx:)

Hi anne!!!!

Just thought I'd update and post some pics of the lil devils :D

And a couple more!!

I cant resist :D

Also fostering another lil sweetheart Sparkle for anne right now and
    OMG shes soooo cute and purrs all the time.
    The last pic is of her and Charlie taking over my BF's computer chair.
    As if them taking over the bed wasnt enough :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MimiS

Charlie is getting huge!!

Advertisement