Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prospective Staff owner

Options
  • 11-07-2009 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and the OH have FINALLY decided to get a dog. The two years since we left home to buy our own house is the longest either of us has spent without a dog. Luckily for me (on the back of hours of research on both our parts) I've convinced her that we are getting a Staff.

Having worked at the DSPCA and ISPCA when I was younger my heart is telling me to get a rescue dog. But after a bit of agonising I've decided I want to get a pup that I can bring to socialization classes, then training school myself. (And to make sure that she won't be at risk of the hereditary eye disease that can affect the breed)

If you read this Maikomi, I'd love to head down the beach some morning to meet your fella, drop me a line if you want someone to take over dog wrasslin duty.

EGAR if you read this I'd love some suggestions on things we may not have considered yet. We have an area set aside for 'crate training', I'm still doing as much research as possible on the breed, and I'm looking up options for socialization, training and insurance.

Cheers, Len

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am reading it, Len ;). Let me say, don't give up on a rescue dog yet, there are quite often Staffie pups in rescue. I myself am not much of a puppy person, I leave all that work to other peeps. I prefer adult dogs :D.

If you have any question then shout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Please god go the rescue route.

And of course you could meet my two lads anytime you wish, one is a rescue, one came from a friend who's a breeder - she (the puppy) was the runt so I more or less rescued her too.

There's not a softer and more loyal & fun loving dog than the Staffy.

I'm out by Portmarnock, and if it mean's I can convince you to rescue or completely sell you on the idea of homing a Staffy I'll meet you any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

+1 on the rescue route. There are some rescues around Dublin who deal specifically with restricted breeds. There are one or two members on the forum. They often have puppies.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

Thanks very much for all the replies. It wouldn't take much arm twisting for me to re-home a pup to be honest (and I was not aware there were special restricted breed shelters)

The OH might need a bit of convincing as I think she feels she can be more sure of the dogs temperment if she can meet parents and breeders. I'm sure you could easily convince us otherwise though.

Makikomi we are almost neighbours as I'm only down the road in Balgriffin so I'll definitely meet up for a stroll some day. I've recently taken to approaching strangers and kids walking Staffies which is not a good habit to be developing!

EGAR I'll probably have you plagued when we get the dog!

If your only up in Balgriffin and want to go the whole puppy route and not rescue I can put you in touch with a very good Staffy breeder in Clare Hall, but for most good reputable breeders you'll be waiting awhile for a pup.

I had a quick look at dogsindistress.org and there's some lovely Staffy's there, and a nice English Bull Terrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Hey, I was volunteering up at the DSPCA until recently and they had young and very nice staffies, very sociable and would make lovely pets. Been about a month since i was there so unlikely they're still there but the kinds of dog you are looking for are out there in a rescue shelter somewhere.

Just remember for every dog bought from a breeder, two are put down in kennels.
    Don't forget that and good luck finding the dog of your dreams! :D

Just remember for every dog bought from a breeder, two are put down in kennels.

Not trying to hijack the thread but I would like to know on what that statement is based on, other than trying to make one feel bad?

OP, if you'd still like to meet my two guys I've this weekend would be a good time.

I'll have them up on Portmarnock beach (its where I usually exercise them) or I'm due a visit to the new Father Collins Park.

So if you'd like to hook up drop me a PM - btw, I'm pretty confident that if your OH meets these two guys he/she will love the breed.

EGAR wrote: »
    Not trying to hijack the thread but I would like to know on what that statement is based on, other than trying to make one feel bad?

Based on what inspectors in the DSPCA told me. Not purposely trying to make anyone feel bad, just pointing out the reality of the situation.

EDIT: Did a little research and there was an article in the irish time stating that 23,000 stray dogs are put down a year, the highest per capita rate in the EU. This represents 85% of dogs that end up in pounds. So there are a few figures for you at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

i volunteer in the dspca weekly and they regularly have staffys up there- ring them and ask for one of the girls in re-homing and let them know exactly what you are looking for. they'll keep you in mind if any staffy pups come in

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Thanks again for the replies - appreciate it. We are planning to get a dog towards the end of the year / start of the new year so time is on our side. I have plenty of calls to be making.

Makikomi, just sent you a PM. Looking forward to meeting your two.

CL32 wrote: »
    Makikomi, just sent you a PM. Looking forward to meeting your two.

It was a pleasure meeting you and your lovely GF this afternoon.

Cursed the weather for the first few minutes then thanked it for giving us all an almost completely empty beach..

Well the dogs loved the walk, they've been sleeping for hours since!. And it was obvious from early on that Ruby had a soft spot for you!.

Anyway, it was a pleasure meeting you, I'm sure your both going to make fantastic owner's.

Well it looks like we can drop the prospective bit now!

[URL="[IMG]http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/ChelseaLen/073.jpg[/IMG]"]073.jpg[/URL]

(Hope that works)

Can't wait to let her off with your two Makikomi!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Well it looks like we can drop the prospective bit now!

(Hope that works)

How did ya decide to get 1, adopt etc..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Congratulations.

He/she is gorgeous, hope you lead a have life together!

cowzerp wrote: »
    How did ya decide to get 1, adopt etc..

She is not a rescue unfortunately. When we were researching everything we could we fell in love with the reds - the colouring seems to really highlight their expressions. We just stumbled on an ad for her last week. It was move or lose so we moved.

I know I will rescue one day. I'm busy working on two people to consider rescuing Socks from dogs in distress at the moment.(Guilty conscience maybe?)

He is a male staff over a year old.

We made a joint decision to get a female pup. We both wanted a female pup to raise ourselves, with red colouring if possible. The decision to get a dog was part of the bigger picture I suppose (new house etc) and when we saw the ad, everything else fell into place.

I know its not the here and now but we have already talked about getting some company in the form of a rescue when she has fully matured.

I know I've rambled, but like I said, it maybe due to a guilty conscience.

Like I said last night, she's a beautiful looking dog.

About her belly (phone convo last night guys) the breeder will worm her before she leave's, but don't be surprised at all if she's still got a belly on her for awhile.

Puppies devour food and cause's a little bloat until their system's get used to things.

Here's a photo of Ruby at the same age, you can see the belly!...

attachment.php?attachmentid=86083&stc=1&d=1248622969

And here..

attachment.php?attachmentid=86084&stc=1&d=1248623181

It'll go down very quickly..

Guys, I was talking to the lad (OP) on the phone during the U2 gig last night - he was like a father waiting for mammy to pop!.. :P

Thats some pudding belly!

Thanks again for the advice. Watched the vid in your sig again today. You are going to have to get cracking on another one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

What a cutie.

Its a shame you didn't go down the rescuse route (particularly as you worked at the DSPCA and the ISPCA and there are so many staffies needing homes) but I'm sure you'll give her a great home.

As it was all so quick did you get to meet the breeder and the pup's mum?

Enjoy her

Vel wrote: »
    What a cutie.

Its a shame you didn't go down the rescuse route (particularly as you worked at the DSPCA and the ISPCA and there are so many staffies needing homes) but I'm sure you'll give her a great home.

As it was all so quick did you get to meet the breeder and the pup's mum?

Enjoy her

We were looking at rescue while looking around but prob put to much emphasis on what we had already agreed - pup, female, red if at all possible. We were planning on waiting till the end of the year too (xmas present to each other) so thought time was on our side. When we saw the ad we made a call and it all took off from there.

We drove to Galway to meet the breeder. He's basically a lad about the same age as me who decided to let his dog have a litter. The mother is absolutely gorgeous. She did the staffy wiggle all the way down the yard to greet us. You get the impression the dog is his best mate which is how it should be. They have lots of land and the dogs look spoilt by him and the rest of his family.

I was down in Kinsealy pet store and there is a senior citizen staff or staff x pottering about the shop. Anyone who calls her over gets the kissy-face. I have fallen head over heels for this breed..

• Advertisement

Vel wrote: »
    What a cutie.

Its a shame you didn't go down the rescuse route

No its not, thats pure silly.

Whilst there are some beautiful dogs in pounds waiting for a rescue they don't always suit an owner's requirements and I understand completely how the OP feels.

CL, I can't wait to see your new family member!. But like all babies, be prepared for some hard work and sleepless nights!.. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 turtle21

Not a red but I know of a brindle and white male staff pup(Rescue) who needs a home.Good with other dogs and cats and clean.He's in foster right now but can't stay there forever.Bit too late now I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

No its not, thats pure silly.

Whilst there are some beautiful dogs in pounds waiting for a rescue they don't always suit an owner's requirements and I understand completely how the OP feels.

CL, I can't wait to see your new family member!. But like all babies, be prepared for some hard work and sleepless nights!.. :P

Eh, its a matter of opinion Ramon Melodic Oak so enough with the 'silly' comments please. The dog of your dreams or close to it will always come up in rescue if you are willing to wait. But then some people, for whatever reason aren't as bothered about adopting a rescue and choose not to wait. Fair enough, I still think its a shame but it doesn't mean I wouldn't wish CL and their new pup well.

CL, I know the staffie wiggle and love it :D!! I used to walk dogs at a rescue and my all time favourite was a lovely little staffie with the best wiggle ever. I was so tempted to adopt her but the timing was all wrong. Please keep us updated with photos. I'd love to see what she turns out like.

Hi,

with a bit of patience a Staffie pup could have been found in rescue but alas the pup has arrived as the heart ruled the head :D. How old is that pupster, CL? Have all the necessary health checks been carried out on the parents? Did you see the results black on white?

I got a sneak preview of someone's Staffy pup today - and she's a beaut!.

;)

:p

Thanks everyone for the best wishes. It's been hectic, but even after 3 weeks we both agree its hard to remember life without her.

Her hobbies include having a huge head and..

sleeping

Len025.jpg

Len036.jpg

And for good measure

Len026.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Don't let the little red staffie mislead you with it's heart melting yodle songs and warm hot water belly.

It will be chewing your shoes in a matter of weeks. :)

They are a fab dog and every time I see a picture of a puppy it brings me back wehn my one was a puppy.

I'll never foregt getting up and doing the porridge and scrambled eggs in the morning for him. :rolleyes:

I am not crazy it's what my book given to me by the breeder said.

I'll give you a top tip for your little gut when it's a bit older. Buy sardines in sunflower oil in tescos only .47c and mix in food once a week. It will gloss your doggies coat unreal.

I've attached a pic of my guy. Super shiny coat but then again it's easier to keep the black coat glossy than the other colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm loving all the pics. :D

Advertisement