Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup is eating her own poo..

Options
  • 11-07-2009 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Any ideas how to stop her doing this??
    I try to catch her when i can but obviously cant be with her all the time to catch her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

While it is a disgusting habit its not unusual for dogs to do this. Its called coprophagia, my own dog did it for a while. Sometimes its an indicator that the dog is unwell so if your dog is doing this excessively you may want to get her checked by a vet.

In a healthy pup increasing the number of meals, but keeping the same amount of food can help as can adding pineapple or courgette to its meals. Apparently the acid in these foods make the faeces less attractive to a dog.

Hope that helps - my dog grew out of the habit, thank god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

disgusting behaviour and another reason to despise dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Apparently it's quite common with a lot of pups and eventually they will grow out of it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Brian Capture infracted.
    Anyone else who shares this view may go elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

a pig eats its own poo, and some consider it a filty animal, but dogs have personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

Thanks for the advice.So it could be the food...I have her on "bakers" puppy food.She is a 8 week old boxer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Chop up pineapple (tinned or fresh) and add it to her food. It makes the poo taste nasty to dogs. She'll lose the taste for it, and you can discontinue the pineapple in a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

My friend's dog eats cat sh*t. It's a terrible habit alright.

p.s. If the taste of pineapple is so unappealing to dogs, surely they won't eat their food if you lace it with same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

rediguana, its the way it tastes after going through their system that they find unappealing, they dont seem to mind it when its fresh :)

OP, on a side note bakers contains salt, sugar and additives - I fed it years ago and changed (on my vets advice) and noticed a big difference in my dogs appearance and demeanour - it really isnt the best especially for a young puppy :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement