Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamweaver question

Options
  • 11-07-2009 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭

sorry to wreck heads -

I've downloaded a 30day trial of Dreamweaver and have bought a (flash) template online .... do I have to change each of the html pages on the template to personalise it ? or is there a faster way - to open the site and drag/drop stuff.

ps. I'm on a mac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

You won't be able to edit a flash template in dreamweaver, you need to open the template in something like Adobe Flash as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

It depends, if its 100% flash, there should be hardly no pages, and all navigation done via the flash plugin.
    If you want to personalise the flash you'll need to download a trial of flash.
    If you want to personalise what is around the flash, you can edit HTML with dreamweaver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Hosting

:pac:.......Find anything apart from dreamweaver when using flash, it will put in a load of usless code that will never help you rang with search engines. My advice ...STAY AWAY....then again that just what I would do.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭daymobrew

PCPhoto wrote: »
    and have bought a (flash) template online
    Can you provide a link to the template on the site where you purchased it?

AFAIK these Flash templates can be customised via a text file or XML file that comes with the template. You should not need to use Adobe Flash editor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Hosting wrote: »
    it will put in a load of usless code that will never help you rang with search engines

If it's a Flash site, then that's already the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    If it's a Flash site, then that's already the case.
    Too true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

daymobrew wrote: »
    Can you provide a link to the template on the site where you purchased it?

AFAIK these Flash templates can be customised via a text file or XML file that comes with the template. You should not need to use Adobe Flash editor.

apologies for not repling faster - was away from computer.
    heres a link to the flash that I downloaded

http://www.templatemonster.com/flash-templates/18284.html

Looks good alright (if slightly fussy within the portfolio), but I definitely wouldn't wait for it to load, assuming that I found it at all!

Also, no menu once you're within the site; very annoying to have to hit "back" in order to access the contact info.

I also personally hate sites that have music, because if you're sneakily browsing for a photographer or whatever at work, and then you hear music blaring, you'll head for the close or back button immediately before the boss hears it!

80% of that site could be implemented without Flash, making it faster to load and "findable" in search engines. You'd sacrifice a few elements, but better to lose those than lose any chance of being found by potential clients, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

the clients arent the problem ..... I just want to get something up. admittedly minuted after I purchased I was having second thoughts.

CORRECTION: Want to get something up thats different - without the usual costs involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭daymobrew

CORRECTION: Want to get something up thats different - without the usual costs involved.
    You should be able to find something "different" in the HTML section of TemplateMonster.

• Advertisement

the clients arent the problem ..... I just want to get something up

The clients (and potential clients) are the ones who'll be viewing the site. You're selling yourself (and your potential business) short by just getting "something" up.

Advertisement