Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question again! Which was is forward on a Galway train.

Options
  • 11-07-2009 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Heading down to Galway next week and wanted to reserve seats on the train for the journey.

Not a fan of the whole travelling backwards bit so can anyone tell me which way is "forward". The little graphic thing has a helpful "locomotive engine" graphic, but given that its a railcar, Im not sure what that means!

Cheers,
    Simon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hello Simon - As rail user of more than 40 years and I have to admit that I am stumped. Just had a look at the IE site - what a mess - and I haven't a clue what way round the train is! In a previous life I ran special trains on CIE and I can tell you we had simple carriage diagrams that even a child could understand. Sorry. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine that the locomotive is at the front. I'm not sure if thats correct for the return journey though. If the train isn't busy, you should be able to find a reverse facing seat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

i agree the irish rail website is a disaster. I travelled to limerick last weekend and reserved seating. best way to describe where to book is where the is a table, make sure to pick the seat that is on the right handside.

in saying that, it could be wrong, but the train to/from limerick was almost deserted, so could really sit anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I haven't figured it out yet for Limerick-Dublin. Seems to be the end of the train facing Dublin perhaps? Not specifically the locomotive? In any case Lim-Dub it can be confusing as you can have either the regional railcars for direct services or be booking on the Cork-Dub Mk4s.

I've had about a 50% success rate and that's with roughly knowing the layout of the trains (I think it's the regional railcar I got wrong last time).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Last time I went to Galway carriage A was at the front and A was at the back on the way back. this was on one of the new 6 car DMUs (22ks?)
    It had A to F

• Advertisement
Advertisement