Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon postcode for Irish address

Options
  • 11-07-2009 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I have been an Amazon customer for a good while now, and have had a number of items delivered successfully in the past.

I had reason to change a detail in my postal address. When I entered it originally I didn't enter a postcode, as obviously I don't have one because I live in Ireland and my address was accepted without one. Now, having altered my details, Amazon wont accept my address without a postcode.

I have just put in a full stop and five spaces for the postcode, so that a person reading the address won't have a postcode to read, and will hopefully just deliver using my physical address as they would have done before. All I am worried about is what happens if an automated system at Amazon tries to read my postcode, and won't recognise it because it's not valid. I wonder will the item be delivered just using my physical address or will it end up back at Amazon, undelivered?

Any suggestions as to what I should do?
    P.S. I have emailed Amazon and am awaiting a reply.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 alipackers

I usually just put ROI in the postcode box
    I've never not received anything that I bought using that so it seems to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dan39

Thanks alipackers! Any idea why I didn't have to give one before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 alipackers

not a clue man, some sites wont let you buy stuff without putting one in others let you bypass it. dont know why! They prob just presume everyone in the world is from the UK or America!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

0000 works for me.

Thanks guys. I let you know what, if anything I get back from Amazon.

In the meantime, if anyone else has a suggestion, feel free to add it below!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

NA also works every time for me - touch wood. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Writing Ireland in the postcode box also works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

alipackers wrote: »
    They prob just presume everyone in the world is from the UK or America!!

What, you mean instead of just presuming that most modern countries have a postcode system?

I just put n/a in any that I need to...all my stuff bought on ebay comes with the Dundalk, N/A, Rep of Ireland on the shipping label.

I'm probably just being picky, but what annoys me is the fact that before, I didn't need to give one. Surely Amazon have enough Irish customers to know that we don't have postcodes over here, especially given that they have a call centre in Cork!

To above posters:
    Did you always have to give a postcode?

For the record, my Ebay purchases come to:

Street,
    Town,
    County,
    DEFAULT,
    Ireland

That's without having put any postcode in.

I don't mind having things like DEFAULT, N/A etc. in my address. I just think it's ridiculous that Amazon won't accept an Irish address without me filling in the postcode field!

Still no reply from Amazon by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭granite man

99999 does the job tho judging from the replies above putting anything in the box will probably work. Daresay we'll get our own area codes soon enough if the lisbon vote goes through not to mention lots of other uh, surprises!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 scalesd2

Thanks for advice but the transaction won't proceed any further and i've tried all versions. I'll go to Easons

Thanks,
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Or put in a UK postcode if it asks for that first, then change the address to an irish one if it uses an auto fill based on the postcode.

I know some websites used to do in the past when they specified UK address only.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Mint Sauce wrote: »

Or put in a UK postcode if it asks for that first, then change the address to an irish one if it uses an auto fill based on the postcode.

I know some websites used to do in the past when they specified UK address only.

I put COUNTY for the post code and drop CO.

Though the address looks like COUNTY Ireland ! Still it gets to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement