Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat tormentor

Options
  • 11-07-2009 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

recently (about 3 months ago) moved into a new house and everything was fine up until a couple of weeks ago, when all of a sudden one of my cats would go out and stay out for hours and hours and now even days (well, 2 days and 1 night, but still, this is very unusual for him) and wont come back - even if i go and find him.
    i'm not too concerned about it being the "going back to the old home" thing cos we literally moved around the corner, so i know he goes there when he's out and the old neighbours know him so he's fine when he's there.
    the thing is, every time he does come back, he seems incredibly nervous and jumpy and keeps sniffing around the garden and the house. he has been behaving this way for the last week or so. there are a few other cats on the new road, one of which is another big tom and i think he bullies all the other cats around and i think thats why my fella keeps going off and staying away etc.
    what i'm wondering is this - is there something i can do to deter the other cats from the garden, without deterring my own two away aswell?!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Spend lots of time in the garden, and don't welcome in other cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I honestly wouldnt be too concerned. If as you say you've just moved around the corner hes probably just sussing out his new territory. Cats are territorial so if hes landed on another cats patch hes just trying to figure out the lay of the land. Hes going back to his old haunt as he feels safe there so just give him time. The alternative is to keep him indoors and the problem will be solved..

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

As an advocator of indoor cats, I'd suggest like anniehoo to keep him indoors.
    Not only will your problem be solved but all other outdoor problems will be solved too. I'm not going to preach a long list on here but if you want to know more about indoor only cats, feel free to pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭lycopodium123

i'd love to keep him in, but it just wont happen, he's far too used to being able to come and go and anytime i have had to keep him in, he goes insane! its my own fault, i have the 2 of them spoilt rotten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

luckat wrote: »
    Spend lots of time in the garden, and don't welcome in other cats.

This is the best advice!

If the cat is really nervous and constantly checking the windows, catflap, the outdoors, then more than likely it's an issue of territory.

Is the cat a young male? More than likely has had a run in with another tom, hence the nervousness, and isn't ready for the battle.

I's recommend that if he gets suddenly really nervous and jumpy, shivering or shakey, check yourself and see what the cat if focusing on.

If it's a case of an older tom infiltrating, give your cat some reassurance and let him know that you're protecting him.

Also, if your cat is wary of going outside to do his business, (or going out at all) go out there with him and stay with him and spend some time in the garden itself with the cat. This will relax the cat and your presence will give the cat a feel of protection. And gives confidence.

If you have catflaps, the most annoying thing is that they're not good for keeping out uninvited guests - a two way lock can help, but this results if your own cat getting locked out.

In the case that the cat is only to be in one room of the house, like the utility, make sure that there's a high place for the cat to sit and feel relaxed in, as this will be its hideaway and keeps them out of harm.

Hope that's of some help!

Maybe have a chat with your vet if there's anything else that you can do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement