Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteer Work in Limerick city

Options
  • 11-07-2009 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hey, just wondering , anyone have any information bout any groups looking for volunteers in limerick city?preferably children/ special needs groups/ animals...thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The Limerick Animal welfare centre are often looking for help, be it to help out walking animals, cleaning up in their compound, helping with fundraisers etc.

http://www.limerickanimalwelfare.com/

One thing to be aware of, for anyone wanting to do volunteer work anywhere, is that if you are unemployed you will have to check with the social welfare first, as if a person is doing volunteer work they can regard it as that person not being available for possible job interviews and as such cut off payments to that person.

This may not affect the OP but it is something that people in general may not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The Order of Malta, Irish Red Cross and St Johns Ambulance brigade are also very interesting for volunteering.

I was a member of the Order of Malta and along with providing your time it was also fun.

Bonus - entry to match's with the best seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

on a semi-related note, do puppy walkers for the Guide Dogs have to be from the vicinity of the centre in cork or can anyone apply . was asked about it recently.

There is also a volunteerism forum you might get some ideas from as well

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=383

Berty wrote: »
    The Order of Malta, Irish Red Cross and St Johns Ambulance brigade are also very interesting for volunteering.

I was a member of the Order of Malta and along with providing your time it was also fun.

the first aid training is also a plus when jobseeking should you need to. with some of the larger companies having to have health and safety officers on their staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

http://volunteerlimerick.com/

has lots of information and requests one from there may suit you.
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

thanks a mill everyone!brill ideas there....would love to join red cross as used be a member in a different region of the country, but finding it imposibl e to get a contact number for limerick city branch of red cross....have rung head office and everything to no avail!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Berty wrote: »

Really...not any time in the last 12 years?? Or outside Limerick??

PM sent to the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

i was also a member of the order of malta for about 4 years untill about 11 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

removed for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 55,467 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

What the hell does that have to do with volunteerism, irishvamp90?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I apologize in advance for taking this off topic for a second but does everything have to be a complaint or negativity Irishvamp? Complaining on boards is certainly going to get you nowhere.

Anyway, i was also a member of Order of Malta till about 2 years ago. Great craic and laugh every Friday evening and some good days at the races. Would recommend it to anybody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Ok im sorry,i will remove my part of this thread and start a reverse snobbery one,i am negative because decent people are sick of scum getting things handed to them.

i'll remove now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Ok im sorry,i will remove my part of this thread and start a reverse snobbery one,i am negative because decent people are sick of scum getting things handed to them.

i'll remove now

I see where you are coming from. I live in Moyross Irishvamp so understand where you are coming from. I just think that venting unrelated frustrations into a thread is Silly because that post had nothing to do with what was requested and the thread was not on outlet for venting against injustices

i'll remove now

Your issue has zero to do with this thread. either stay on topic or don't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

hey all, thanks again for all yere info and help!thats brill!im anew user to this, signed up years ago, but this was one of my first posts, so thanks for all the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lyingeyes

Can anyone on this thread help me, im in a bit of a dilema!! I joined the order of malta recently and i made friends with this guy and he seemed really genuine and friendly, infact it was him i approached about joining. Yesterday i went along with him and another guy in the ambulance to attend a two day event. He said that id be going on the two days and to be honest i was really excited about it. Then he called me last night to tell me someone else has my place and they cant bring me as they can only bring three people in the ambulance. The ambulance has 5 seats!! I took his word for it, and said ok!! Then he rang me today to tell me all they'd done and that it was best i wasnt there (salt in sore wound tactic)!! When i think back over yesterday he was very '' dont do this, dont touch that, never..... bla de bla''. I dont no what his problem is, but i feel like he is trying to keep me out. I met our driver from yeaterday and he thought it was strange there was no room and that the other guy would ring me and tell me not to come!! The person i have the problem with, is only 16, he isnt in charge and i cant understand whats soing on. i have no training yet with the order, but i do have my own first responders cert! i dont no how to get my foot on the ladder, and i especially want to stand on my own two feet. I need advice, the more the better, especially tips on good qualifications to get and how to go about getting them.

If it was Oxegen it'll depend on the numbers Kildare want. At that point it's a case of who's been a member the longest.

Just keep going to training, and keep up to date on what's on. I wouldn't worry about it.

Just one of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lyingeyes

Does that mean that because he has been in the order longer than me he'll always have priority over me and can assert himself to a sence of athority over me? Any tips on where or how to go about training myself to move up in the world of the omac?? I think personally it was lousy on his behalf, and no it wasnt oxygen, it was a small local public event. What i want to no is he covered under rules or regulations and completely in the right or was he just being a prick!! I would love if any of ye could answer that for me!! Thanks guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The Order of Malta is built on the basis of having ranks like the Army so the higher the rank the more "authority" he can have.

If you are still in the cadets then there are no ranks.

Cadets do have ranks Berty...I held a rank in my time in cadets.

To answer the other question...not as a cadet, but as you haven't started training yet, it would make no sense to have you in an ambulance at an event where the most you'll be asked to do is hold x,y or z, or to get something in a hurry when you're not familiar with the vehicle on site.

Cadet leaders will generally give everyone a fair chance to get out once they've seen you in action in the training room and are happy with that.

It's a very good skill to have and a great organisation to be part of. I just don't have the time for it anymore unfortunately.

If I was a "senior" cadet again, I might have done the same. It's the sort of thing that if anything goes wrong you're goosed if you have an untrained member with you, regardless of their external qualifications....insurance just won't want to know.

Stick with it. Some of the events can be quite boring though, but the potential for injury is endless, so you need the scenario training really.

These days cadets are barely allowed to dress a wound with child protection regulations, so it's more than likely a case of people covering their own ass than anything against you.

Sorry to hijak the thread, but I think the same is probably true of any organisation that has under 18s as either members or it's customer base.

• Advertisement
Advertisement