Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showjumping Practice

Options
  • 11-07-2009 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

Is there anywhere in Carlow area that you can rent out a showjumping course? i'm not in any of the riding clubs would they have them?

i only have one or two jumps at home (made of barrells etc) but i'd like to school my lady over a course of fences, not a training show though.

Or else, how do ye make up your showjumping courses, do you make your own uprights and how do you do it? I'm on a farm so there should be lots of ways to make a course of fences.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Wicked

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

I will pm you :)

Poles and barrels are the way to go if you want to do it yourself.

Poles (unpainted) are cheap enough to get and if you know any builders you might get some decent barrels and other similar things to use as uprights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

ok thats great thanks.

Wicked

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

If I'm schooling at home, I only put up 3 or 4 fences in a field - i.e. related distance and double, or a treble and one other fence. If you change the distances between fences or vary how you jump them it tends to work well.

I use barrels as uprights, and paint the poles I have. If you want to try something different, try using tyres, and paint them on one side to make them look strange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 henderz

What about Coilog in co. kildare? Its in the naas area but really nice! Try coilog.com for more details and if you have questions about it after seeing the website you can PM me if you like :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rphelan

Are there any riding schools in your area that would let you rent out the arena for an hour or so??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Coole have a mini-midi-maxi on a Friday, you just turn up!Alterantively, if you book a show-jumping lesson somewhere ,they might have a course to school around.
    We have our own with the club, but they wouldn't be for rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Just be careful if you are using barrels that you make sure that the poles will roll off if hit.

Old beer kegs also make good uprights if you can get your hands on them. And of course hay bales have many uses too!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭HOBO123

Coole equestrian school now allow schooling in there indoor arena or if not there is always Coilog or barnadown .. and barnadown has some nice cross country schooling fences too ..

HOBO123 wrote: »
    Coole equestrian school now allow schooling in there indoor arena

Do you know how much that costs? I assume you have to arrange it with them beforehand rather than just turning up? Or is it part of the mini/midi/maxi they have on Friday evenings?

Byhookorbycrook - is the schooling being held every Friday throughout the summer? And is that separate to the leagues that they advertise every now and again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Kildare International has a decent size area, 2 outdoor arenas and a cross country course all with a good selection of fences. You could get a private lesson there for around the €50 mark and the lads will be more than happy to set up a course or a grid for you. You can find out more on their website or I can pm you their phone number.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Convert, I was thinking of the leagues rather than private schooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭HOBO123

In Coole you can now hire the indoor for 20e an hour (they will probably give you more than an hour) and yes you would just have to ring Stephanie or someone down there to let them no when your coming so that they can have the arena free for you as they do have liverys that use the arens also ... then once your horse is comfortable with the fences you could take him to the sjai league on a sunday or the mini/midi/maxi on a friday .. hope that helps .. if you have any other questions let me know i know ost places around the Carlow/Leinster area :)

Just saw that there's a mini/midi/maxi league running until the end of July.

you could also try Raheen na Gunn in Kilkenny city.

Advertisement