Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my dog having a stroke?

Options
  • 11-07-2009 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

i have a 15 year old mongrel terrier,
    he is on vivitonin 50 for 12 months now for dementia like symtoms.

recently he has been acting strange where he would be fine and all of a sudden he will start pacing frantically around the room, his walking is slightly irratic during this.
    this used to happen maybe once a week, or fortnight
    but the last few days , maybe last 5 it has been once a day.
    he had an eppisode about 20 mins ago and he slipped and fell over.
    he is fine again
    and doesnt seem bothered after about 1-2 minutes.
    what does this sound like? is it a minature stroke or a warning of a stroke?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

One of the few signs of a dog having a stroke is their eyes flickering in their head. My old king charles had a stroke. They kind of rock back and forth while its happening too. I don't think your little dog has had a stroke but I'd bring her to the vet just to make sure its not something else very serious. Hope shes ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye +1 on the vet - they can check out your dog much better than we can and hopefully if there's an issue they can sort it asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

My old JRT had similar sounding symptoms for approx. 2 years due to a heart problem.

Your vet will be of great help but please don't leave it too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

As you know she is obviously uncomfortable hence the pacing. Bring her to vet, they will know what the behaviors mean as its the dogs form of speech.

Sounds like a trooper, hope shes OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭kueef

My old JRT had similar sounding symptoms for approx. 2 years due to a heart problem.

Your vet will be of great help but please don't leave it too long.

oh.. have you anymore info on that. because my dog is also suffering from a heart murmer..

thanks everyone,
    i guess the vet is in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

kueef wrote: »
    oh.. have you anymore info on that. because my dog is also suffering from a heart murmer..

thanks everyone,
    i guess the vet is in order.

My goodness, a trip to the vet as soon as possible please!!

My old JRT (RIP) was put on "Vetmedin" and "Prilium" (excuse product spelling) because of her heart condition etc. It really improved her quality of life for approx. 2 years.

Advertisement