Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye shaping lenses

Options
  • 11-07-2009 5:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Just been reading about these and i've a few questions.

Firstly, how long (roughly) would the correction last?
    and would it change all of a sudden or just get hazier and hazier.

Secondly, would rubbing my eyes knock them out of alignment?

Thirdly, price. How much do they cost?
    My eyes are -3 and -3.5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

What are they? Do you have a link?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

The lenses you're talking about are called orthokeratology lenses. They are rigid lenses worn generally worn at night to reshape the cornea and thus also your prescription.

How long the change lasts depending on the prescription and your cornea. At first the lenses are generally worn every night and then it tends to be tailored down depending on you. Generally every 3-4 days you would have to wear the lenses over night. It's a gradual haziness that happens rather than a sudden change.

Rubbing the eyes can sometimes put them out of alignment but nothing that cant be manouvered back onto the centre again. It is unlikely to happen once the lenses fit you well.

Price is something I cant tell you as I dont know. What I do know is the lenses generally have to be changed regularly and that you would have to go for very regular check ups so that would increase the cost again.

The only problem is generally anything above a -3.00 generally isnt very successful as the cornea needs to be reshaped a little too much.

If you are based in Dublin, Donal O Malley based in Dixon Hempenstall tends to fit these lenses. Not many practises do as the equipment needed is very expensive

Advertisement