Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is re-experiencing a memory a hallucination?

Options
  • 11-07-2009 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

Hallucinations are defined as perceptions in a conscious and awake state in the absence of external stimuli which have qualities of real perception, in that they are vivid, substantial, and located in external objective space.

So are memories hallucinations? If a memory IS a hallucination, did it really happen?

AH's opinion, may be funny, may be serious... Only time will tell...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Some people pay for that kind of thing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

Zangetsu wrote: »
    ...and located in external objective space.

So are memories hallucinations? If a memory IS a hallucination, did it really happen?

Not by your definition duhh.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This really reminds me of this one time when I had déja vu...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Zangetsu wrote: »
    If a memory IS a hallucination, did it really happen?

I have a memory of me getting beaten stupid as a child, it was a hallucination that i got up and warped a hurley around my brothers head. Now maybe it's all a hullucination and i'm a only child?? I'll go ask my brother, he'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. ...oh wait.... what??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

Did I pay you for them strawberries?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,249 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

strange you mention it. I woke up this morning with the vivid memory of quitting gamestop after working for them for one day. I didnt give them notice or anything, just never showed up for work again.

Ive never even applied to one. but it took me a few hours to reach the conclusion that it was just a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Hallucinations are defined as perceptions in a conscious and awake state in the absence of external stimuli which have qualities of real perception, in that they are vivid, substantial, and located in external objective space.

Defined by who? the internet? a quick google search? You?

If something is located in external objective space it is not a hallucination.

If some thing is percieved in external objective?? subjective space it might well be.

This is just semantics. Realisticlly I don't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

Defined by who? the internet? a quick google search? You?

If something is located in external objective space it is not a hallucination.

If some thing is percieved in external objective?? subjective space it might well be.

This is just semantics. Realisticlly I don't exist.

So I did pay you? Thanks be to God for that.

Advertisement