Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke Park to Airport Hotel?

Options
  • 11-07-2009 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right section to post this.
    Going to U2 Croke Park Fri 24th, and was offered by a m8, a nights free accomodation at the Clarion Airport Hotel on that night.
    Don't really know Dublin at all,so was wondering is it possible to get from Croke Park to that airport hotel easily via public transport, or will it cost a fortune in a taxi.
    i.e Is a freebie staying at the Clarion, Dublin airport worth accepting on that night ?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it's right at the airport so can get any airport bus, eg the 16a which goes as close as you can get to croke park.
    It shouldn't be too dear to get a taxi back either as it's reasonably close.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If its right at the airport, you could get an Aircoach (24 hours) back from the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

free hotel is always worth it...lol.....

what room number did you say ;)

Party at your place !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

16A, 41/41B (not 41C) will take you to the Airport from Drumcondra after the concert.

747 AIRLINK will take you there from O'Connell Street or Parnell Square West.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There may be thousands of people trying to get those buses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

At approx 5 miles you'd walk it at a good pace in around an hour and ten minutes.

The 33 also stops along side the airport from the city center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

Aircoach serves Drumcondra if thats any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Thanks for the replies, I guess I will get there eventually. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

Bluetonic wrote: »
    At approx 5 miles you'd walk it at a good pace in around an hour and ten minutes.

The 33 also stops along side the airport from the city center.

It's a fairly miserable walk from the airport - no footpaths, narrow footpaths, taxis flying past you with no room to spare and that's ignoring the current state of the airport.

markpb wrote: »
    It's a fairly miserable walk from the airport - no footpaths, narrow footpaths, taxis flying past you with no room to spare and that's ignoring the current state of the airport.
    It's a miserable walk (in the dark) alright but there are footpaths along every section of it.

To think in a few years our OP will be able to just hop on MN at Drumcondra and be at the airport in a few minutes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You walk fast. :)

http://www.dto.ie/web2006/jp.htm Distance: 8.474 km Time: 101 minutes

Victor wrote: »
    You walk fast. :)
    I do indeed, would probably be a lot faster than the average walker.

Based on the evidence that this route takes me 115 minutes (14 min miles approx) and the ground under foot for half of it would be soft sand and shingle, adding time, and this route takes 70 minutes (13.5 minute miles approx) and the terrain is hilly for all of the walk. The last route continentally is around the same distance as in the original post.

Probably getting off the point now but slow walking really bugs me. That DTO journey planner is more than generous and as a form of getting from A to B we (especially city dwellers) don't appear to walk enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Victor wrote: »
    There may be thousands of people trying to get those buses.

That's why I suggested going to O'Connell Street for the Airlink.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭walter sobchak

On a similar note to the op, so didn't reckon it was worth its own thread....

I'll be arriving late-ish to the concert tonight by car from the M1, and I was wondering if my best option would be to park at the airport and get a bus to Croke Park.

Anyone with any advice on this?
    Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

On a similar note to the op, so didn't reckon it was worth its own thread....

I'll be arriving late-ish to the concert tonight by car from the M1, and I was wondering if my best option would be to park at the airport and get a bus to Croke Park.

Anyone with any advice on this?
    Thanks in advance :)

Another alternative might be the Red Cow Luas P&R : http://www.luas.ie/page.php?name=Are_you_going_to_see_U2_this_weekend

Thoie wrote: »
    Another alternative might be the Red Cow Luas P&R : http://www.luas.ie/page.php?name=Are_you_going_to_see_U2_this_weekend
    Thats a crazy idea. Why on earth would you go near the Red Cow when coming from the M1. You obviously don't know the area.

@walter sobchak - park in Whitehall church car park (free) and get a number of buses down the swords road or walk (half an hour).

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3033153

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

KC61 wrote: »
    That's why I suggested going to O'Connell Street for the Airlink.
    i actually doubt there'll be that many heading away from town on the 16a/41s, most people tend to walk into town automatically as part of the herd and it could actually be harder to get on a 16a there than in drumcondra. after an ireland match last year i hopped on a 16 into town without any bother after a match.

with regard to walter sobchak the airport could be handy though there is a car park at the church on the crossroads between drumcondra road (might be swords road at that stage) and collins avenue, no idea how full that's likely to be though, it would be about a 25 minute walk from croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OP - follow the crowds to Druncondra and get any bus heading north with "via Airport" on the front. When you get to the airport get the courtesy minibus to the Clarion. It leaves from beside the taxi rank.
    markpb wrote: »
    The Clarion is fairly near the Airport north entrance (less than 5 mins walk).
    dereko1969 wrote: »
    i actually doubt there'll be that many heading away from town on the 16a/41s
    Just the tens of thousands of us who live in North county Dublin!

dereko1969 wrote:
    there is a car park at the church on the crossroads between drumcondra road (might be swords road at that stage) and collins avenue
    Whitehall Church (as Bluetonic already said).

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Walk the 2 minutes to Drumcondra Road. Then get a16A, (not 16), 33, 41, 41A, 746 all will leave you there in about 10-15 minutes, €1.80.

Alternatively get a Taxi for about €12

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭walter sobchak

Thats a crazy idea. Why on earth would you go near the Red Cow when coming from the M1. You obviously don't know the area.

@walter sobchak - park in Whitehall church car park (free) and get a number of buses down the swords road or walk (half an hour).

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3033153

Nice one Bluetonic, and others who advised on the church at Whitehall... arrived up around 6, got a space easily and a handy taxi in the bus lane straight to Croker....
    Good advice for anyone travelling down from the M1...
    Got a taxi back out and were on the M1 again in 10 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Alternatively get a Taxi for about €12

Close enough €16, got a taxi within a minute of leaving Croke Park, all happy, great gig.

Advertisement