Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurley

Options
  • 10-07-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone see Hurley playing a more crucial role during the final season of Lost? I remember a few seasons back he was regarded as someone who would likely play a big factor in the end although in the recent season he seemed to take more of a back seat to the other characters.

Since he does seem to act as the moral compass on the show, and with it looking likely we will see a more menacing presence on the island next season, I'm wondering will he wind up playing a key role in whatever goes down?

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭FredBloggs

I think he will have a key role...unless they've changed what they have in mind for him. Certainly in earlier seasons - with the numbers, Libby etc it was hinted that he had a major role to play. You're right that especially in the last season he's faded into the background. But that guitar case he's carrying could be crucial.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I reckon the seeing/hearing dead people ability will pay off next season. Although I don't see Miles being around much longer.

Was the factt hat Libby was in the home with Hurley ever explained? you know at the episode called Dave where the camera pans back and you see her?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

FredBloggs wrote: »
    Was the factt hat Libby was in the home with Hurley ever explained? you know at the episode called Dave where the camera pans back and you see her?
    Nope. And the writers say it won't be either. The actress is unwilling to come back.

I heard that alright about the actress but couldn't recall if it had ever been redsolved. Presumably by having her there they'd a reason and you would have thought they would have tied her in to a return - however brief - before they let her go. Makes you wonder if they really knew where they were going. I remember a couple of years back when the guy who plays Richard Albert went to another show there were questions about whether he'd ever come back. then that show was cancelled and he came back in a very pivotal role. If he hadn't returned what would they have done? A lot to do with his earlier appearances wouldn't have made sense.

I reckon if they really wanted Libby back they'd get her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I really don't think the actors affect the story that much.... for example ben was originally just a minor other when he was first introduced in lost... eventually they decided to change that status to leader probably because of they way emerson portrayed ben ( and because he's a serious actor) so i'm sure if they had lost the actor for alpert they would have just changed the story slightly...

btw back on topic, i agree about hurley. I'm really looking forward to seeing whats in that case..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

FredBloggs wrote: »

I could be wrong but I always took that up as well maybe it is in Hurleys head as from what I remember thats what that episode was gearing towards.

Now my memory of that is very fuzzy so if i'm wrong i'll stand corrected.

Zeidth,
    I watched this episode on DVD this week and that could be the case but if it was it was left very much up in the air. A couple of episodes later in the episode when Michael shoots her (which I watched last night) in the last scene she plays with Hurley she says she'll get blankets from the hatch and he can get wine from Sun and Jin. Hurley smiles and says "Wine? Maybe it'll help me remember where I know you from." Libby squirms at this as though she hopes he won't remember she was in the hospital with him. I do think they intended developing things further but guess we'll never know.
    FB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I think Hurley is Darlton's one last ace at really giving us some emotional drama. I can see Hurley dying after doing something insanely heroic, and there won't be a dry eye from a Lost fan around the world if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

tok9 wrote: »
    I really don't think the actors affect the story that much.... for example ben was originally just a minor other when he was first introduced in lost... eventually they decided to change that status to leader probably because of they way emerson portrayed ben ( and because he's a serious actor) so i'm sure if they had lost the actor for alpert they would have just changed the story slightly...

To the best of my knowledge. The idea was to always have Ben as the leader. Yeah they hired him for 3 episodes but it was more of a trial run. If it went wrong for whatever reason they would have just used someone else as leader but plan A was Emerson was going to do it. They hired him especially for it.

• Advertisement

I do think they had a definite story line in mind for Libby and am amazed they didn't tie her in to a recurring guest star role. They were able to park Claire's character last year without a problem. Them saying she won't come back because she was killed off is just lame. It leaves a lot of loose threads hanging - eg Giving Desmond the boat, Being in the home with Hurley etc. At least with Ana Lucia her characters story was more or less wrapped up.

Advertisement