Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA apply now or wait until registation

Options
  • 10-07-2009 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I have just accepted a course in local IT starting mid september. Im on jobseekers benefit at the minute. I have the BTE1 form, should I submit it now or wait until I register as they wont issue payment until after they get proof of registration.
    Thanks
    Trish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Apply for it now and get it out of the way. there will be less bull**** to go through in order to get the lump sum when you register then.

Just filled out my own form and will be bringing it in Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Mine is gone in - they process them in order of receipt so it's best to have them in and submit registration details in sept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

Thanks for that, Ill send it in on monday so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭PeterLT

Apply for it now and get it out of the way. there will be less bull**** to go through in order to get the lump sum when you register then.

Just filled out my own form and will be bringing it in Monday.

Hi there,

In order to apply BTEA, do you need wait for confirmation from CAO or letter from college will be ok? I have received letter from DIT saying that I was accepted, but it will be confirmed through CAO only in the begining of August.
    So can I fill BTEA form and hand it in now?

Cheers.

PeterLT wrote: »
    Hi there,

In order to apply BTEA, do you need wait for confirmation from CAO or letter from college will be ok? I have received letter from DIT saying that I was accepted, but it will be confirmed through CAO only in the begining of August.
    So can I fill BTEA form and hand it in now?

Cheers.

The letter from DIT should be sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭PeterLT

The letter from DIT should be sufficient.

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

hey is anyone applying under the 9 month rule? And if so, do ya know should i wait until ive been on the dole 9 months (mid august) or can i just send the BTE1 in whenever i get accepted by the college?

Actually can anyone tell me the process for applyin after 9months, what the criteria is, and who has to recommend ya for the BTEA, is it FAS or your local social welfare office? Any help would be much appreciated, cos i cant really make head nor tail of their website! thanks

Received letter yesterday to say i've been approvedfor BTEA pending submission of the written confirmation from college in Sept - so for those who asked when to apply do it now it will save time in sept!

amtaxi wrote: »
    Received letter yesterday to say i've been approvedfor BTEA pending submission of the written confirmation from college in Sept - so for those who asked when to apply do it now it will save time in sept!

so did you have to submit anything at all from the college, e.g. letter of confirmation, CAO offer or whatnot, or can all that be submitted later? And i dont suppose you applied under the 9months rule by any chance?

I attached copy of letter from college which confirmed I would be offered place through CAO, I would suggest either going to social welfare office or just sending application, probably best going in and talking to them if you need to use 9 mth rule?

• Advertisement

cool thanks. Have you actually got a CAO offer yet by the way? As far as i know, if im goin to get one, it should be on the 31st July. But did you actually get that letter before ya got the CAO offer?

Yeah im gonna go in next week, i wont be on the dole 9months until the middle of august, but ill go in and see what they say anyway. I just have that horrible sinking feelin that i wont be able to get it under the 9months rule for some reason, and wondering if anyone else has actually gone through the process!

coyle wrote: »
    cool thanks. Have you actually got a CAO offer yet by the way? As far as i know, if im goin to get one, it should be on the 31st July. But did you actually get that letter before ya got the CAO offer?

Got letter about 1 week before CAO offer - good luck with BTEA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Hacks

does anyone know if i tell the welfare office that i'm gonna be applying for the BTEA in a few months will it mean i'm not entitled to Jobseekers Allowance ?? my Jobseekers Benefit (stamps) expire next week and i've to meet some inspector gadget guy !! I'm not exactly "seeking work" at the moment so should i just pretend i am and then land the BTEA on them in a month or two.....................any advice would be appreciated

Hacks wrote: »
    does anyone know if i tell the welfare office that i'm gonna be applying for the BTEA in a few months will it mean i'm not entitled to Jobseekers Allowance ?? my Jobseekers Benefit (stamps) expire next week and i've to meet some inspector gadget guy !! I'm not exactly "seeking work" at the moment so should i just pretend i am and then land the BTEA on them in a month or two.....................any advice would be appreciated

the phrase "say nothin till ya hear more" springs to mind. Id say just go for the Allowance as normal and apply for the BTEA as normal. If they do ask ya anything just say that you were actively looking for work and had college as a back-up plan, ya couldnt find work so now youre goin to college.

A couple of tidbits of info i picked up today:

1. If you wanna get recommended under the 9 months exception, you need to meet your local jobs facilitator (who's part of the social welfare, i.e. nothin to do with FAS)

2. You can definitely apply now pending a letter of confirmation from the college. Im still waiting to be offered the place but they said I can both have the 9 month interview and actually apply for the BTEA now, and submit the college letter later.

Hope that's some use to someone anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

the phrase "say nothin till ya hear more" springs to mind. Id say just go for the Allowance as normal and apply for the BTEA as normal. If they do ask ya anything just say that you were actively looking for work and had college as a back-up plan, ya couldnt find work so now youre goin to college.

A couple of tidbits of info i picked up today:

1. If you wanna get recommended under the 9 months exception, you need to meet your local jobs facilitator (who's part of the social welfare, i.e. nothin to do with FAS)

2. You can definitely apply now pending a letter of confirmation from the college. Im still waiting to be offered the place but they said I can both have the 9 month interview and actually apply for the BTEA now, and submit the college letter later.

Hope that's some use to someone anyway!

Hi thats helped me, had you to make an appointment to see the facilitator? Does anyone know what happens if your on the jobseekers benefit which I am and I was on a part time week, my boss is giving me my P45 Monday as he has no work left for me. When I go in should I just bring my P45 if i tell social welfare I've lost my job will they take me off Jobseekers benefit (my stamps run out around the date my course starts) or let me stay on it until there used. I hope to apply under the 9 months rule. I'm stuck if I can't get it. I will have the 9months around the start time of my course.

ontour wrote: »
    Hi thats helped me, had you to make an appointment to see the facilitator?

Yeah i just called up head office today on 01 7043000 and was put through to the BTE department. They gave me the number for the facilitator in my local social welfare office and i got an appointment with her for next monday. I never mentioned that i won't actually be on the dole 9 months by monday (im about 10 days too early), but we'll see what happens anyway! Ill let ya know how that goes and what she needs to know and all that, and indeed what way the 9month thing works.

Im not too sure as to the rest of your situation, but id imagin bring in your P45 ASAP and take it from there.

my stamps run out around the date my course starts
    I will have the 9months around the start time of my course.

Unless im missin something here that shouldnt be the case. I got the JB in november of last year and have it for a full year (dont forget that they dont count sundays, so a full year, i.e. 12/4/08 to 12/4/09 is 313 days by their reckoning)

Ill put somethin up here on monday with whatever details i can gather, i know well its a pain not havin much information!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jessie14

I was advised last week in my local sw office to get it in early too, however after waiting for nearly 2 hours to hand it in the gal behind the counter wouldn't take it.Asked her to ask someone else and to that I got 'Ah jaysus it's far too early to be handin that in here, sure we've too much paperwork as it is, it'll probably just get lost or summit!!!'
    AAAAARRGHH!! what do I do, can't go to college if I don't get the allowance..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭DenMan

Wow that's strange. I was up at my local sw office last week. I told the girl that I was returning to coll in Sept. She said that's no problem and that they would be notified when I do go back. I also gave them the form for getting the BTEA again back in June and that was fine, they took it. Hope it works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jessie14

Think i might try and get a number for BTEA department, if there is one. The week before I was strongly urged to get it in as 'we have lots of appliications this year and god only knows what we're gonna do'
    Very confused right now

Jessie: the number i was givin for BTEA was 01 7043000

fcuk sake what a mess. I wouldnt like to have kids or a mortgage or whatnot and have to go through this charade! What did everyone put on your form for the start and end dates of your courses? I cant find info online about that, and obviously i dont know cos i havent actually been offered a place yet.

And what about work experience, is it supposed to be just your last job or all previous employment or what?!

And for the current year of the course, did you tick 1st or just leave it empty, cos im presumin most people havent started yet?

What a pain!

• Advertisement

what college are you going to?

Jessie: the number i was givin for BTEA was 01 7043000

fcuk sake what a mess. I wouldnt like to have kids or a mortgage or whatnot and have to go through this charade! What did everyone put on your form for the start and end dates of your courses? I cant find info online about that, and obviously i dont know cos i havent actually been offered a place yet.

And what about work experience, is it supposed to be just your last job or all previous employment or what?!

And for the current year of the course, did you tick 1st or just leave it empty, cos im presumin most people havent started yet?

What a pain!
    I rang with regard to dates and was told to submit these dates when registering in college to get letter confirming dates and registration - I received letter with 2 weeks to confirm that i had been approved for scheme - so I would advise to send form in and wait for reply

amtaxi wrote: »
    I rang with regard to dates and was told to submit these dates when registering in college to get letter confirming dates and registration - I received letter with 2 weeks to confirm that i had been approved for scheme - so I would advise to send form in and wait for reply

ah right, so you basically submitted the BTEA form and left the dates blank, then got approved for the BTEA scheme about 2 weeks later, pending submission of a letter from the college? cool ill do that so, thanks for the info.
    what college are you going to?

sorry, hopin to go to Trinity by the way.

Well, i got the 9 months recommendation today anyway. Had an interview with the SW facilitator, was in for less than 10 minutes and hey presto! She asked a few very basic questions, i think more in a chatty sort of way than anything else, but the only details she actually wrote down were my pps number, name and address.

Since i havent got the details of when the course starts/ends, she just made a note in the "any other information" section of the BTEA form saying something along the lines of "i met with Coyle 27/7/09 and recommend him for 3rd level BTEA under 9 months qualifying period, signed XXXXXXXX" and that was that.

She did ask about the course and that, and what ive been doin, but as i say it all seemed really informal, and not as if she was interviewin me or sussing me out in any way whatsoever.

The only thing to note is that she said ill have to wait to get written confirmation of my place in college, along with start and end dates, before i can acutally submit the BTEA form to the SW. I know someone said previously (and indeed the BTEA crowd told me over the phone) that ya can submit it before ya get confirmation from the college, but apparently not. She did mention though if i was "getting anxious" :confused: that i could submit it with the CAO offer or somesuch, so i presume theyre fairly flexible and it just depends who youre talkin to on the day.

Also, seemingly ya cant work durin the summers if youre on the scheme? She told me ya have to sort of keep your claim open, i.e. not work full time, to be able to get the BTEA back every September. I didnt know that at all. Though the hours you can work during term-time are unlimited. A bit strange. Anyone know about all that?

Anyway, thats all the info i can muster so far, if i think of anything else ill put it up.

P.S. To the facilitator herself, nice one! Top lady :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Hacks

Yes i was aware you can work or sign on during the summer and you can also work part-time during the college year as far as i'm aware (not 100% sure).
    The problem i have is that my stamps are due to expire and i'm worried if i mention college in Sept that i wont get the Jobseekers Allowance until then..........????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Did you meet up with her in your local social welfare office was it coyle? Well done btw

Yes i was aware you can work or sign on during the summer and you can also work part-time during the college year as far as i'm aware (not 100% sure).

Thats exactly what i thought alright, but your one told me different today. She said during the college year you can work as many hours as ya want, but durin the summers you have to still be receiving some sort of benefit, i.e you can only work part time at most, and ya still have to be claiming something.

Its worth checkin out though, cos from reading the websites, i get the impression that you CAN apply for benefit during the summers as normal, but i cant find anything about not being allowed to work full time.
    The problem i have is that my stamps are due to expire and i'm worried if i mention college in Sept that i wont get the Jobseekers Allowance until then..........????

Id say do whatever it takes to get on the allowance, then sort out the BTEA as soon as ya can after that. I dont know what the story is with the interviews etc for the Allowance, but they might take that into consideration, as your plan is to go to college, i.e. not actively seeking work.

I dont know, but if it was me id say nowt until i definitely had the allowance confirmed.
    Did you meet up with her in your local social welfare office was it coyle? Well done btw

thanks, its a serious weight off my shoulders alright! hopefully i actually get the damn course and my BTEA application goes through now! Yeah i rang the BTEA head office on (01) 7043000 and they put me through to my local facilitator, i set up and appointment and met her in my local office yeah.

Advertisement