Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting Server????

Options
  • 10-07-2009 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Hi All,

Currently developing a website and it is being hosted on a Linux Server with our host

Just wondering are there any benefits with going to a windows server?

What would the main differences be between Linux & Windows hosting servers?
    any additonal functions programs available on one and not the other etc....???

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you want ASP or ASP.net you need Windows

Most other scripting languages are available on both platforms

Windows normally uses IIS

Linux normally uses Apache

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm not a MS basher by any means, but unless you need to run ASP or ASP.NET, then go with Unix. Although PHP can run on Windows, it won't perform as well. I noticed big differences in running exactly the same PHP site on a windows server and a unix server.

Plus windows hosting can be more expensive because of the extra licensing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

eoin wrote: »
    I'm not a MS basher by any means, but unless you need to run ASP or ASP.NET, then go with Unix. Although PHP can run on Windows, it won't perform as well. I noticed big differences in running exactly the same PHP site on a windows server and a unix server.

Plus windows hosting can be more expensive because of the extra licensing.

Server 2008 with IIS7 is supposed to have addressed a lot of the issues with PHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The other BIG difference is that Windows is case-insensitive, while Linux is case-sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

thats for the replies lads, keep them coming lol

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    The other BIG difference is that Windows is case-insensitive, while Linux is case-sensitive.
    I've noticed this big-time with the Linux server alright, setting your directories, even as simple as the name of a dir folder starting with caps wont pic up the webpage (obviousily unless you know to type caps)

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

If the site is static, i.e., only HTML/JavaScript/CSS without any server side technology, then it's not important really where you host your site. But if you want to have some applications/databases running on your site, that's where you have to choose between Windows and Unix as they have certain differences in availability and pricing of the required apps. Generally, Unix/Linux is better as it has more readily available and free apps (I do consider that PHP-based apps mainly designed and used on Linux) and hosting options are normally cheaper. Why I personally stick to Windows hosting is that for me changing and administering applications is easier on Windows. If you don't care about it, then go for Unix.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

my current Linux server has MySql as its background database
    Am I right to assume that a Microsoft hosted server would have MS Sql 2005/2008 running as the background database?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Pablod wrote: »
    my current Linux server has MySql as its background database
    Am I right to assume that a Microsoft hosted server would have MS Sql 2005/2008 running as the background database?
    No. You can't assume anything with regard to provided applications. Some hosting companies can provide what you're looking for while others can provide something different or nothing at all. MS Access is runnable on most Windows hostings, however;) If you want SQL Server, you can expect it from certain big providers but it won't come for free in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Hosting

Hosting is a tricky business, take advice from companies that are experienced with this kind of thing. It may be worth a quick phone call.:)

Advertisement