Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New MA in Development UL

Options
  • 10-07-2009 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I have just been accepted on the new MA in Development at UL and I'm in a bit of a quandry as whether or to accept it. I'm really very interested and I was very lucky to gain a place with a poor undergraduate degree mark in a totally unrelated field - it was the fact that I could demonstrate a genuine interest that got me the place.
    I've heard very good reports about the dept of Politcs and Public Administration and the staff there but is there much help in terms of networking (with Irish Aid for example who are based in Limerick) or helping you on your way to employment or are you left completely to your own devices?
    Is there much cross over with the other MA courses within the Dept? I'm concerned that Development Arena is very hard to break into and that I might end up pigeon holed. I probably would have done a broader based MA but felt this was my best bet to get accepted due to my background. I really don't want to 'waste' time and money and be in exactly the same situation employment wise at the end of the degree (not getting any younger etc)? Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 khn10ur3bogzpa

bakewell wrote: »
    I have just been accepted on the new MA in Development at UL and I'm in a bit of a quandry as whether or to accept it. I'm really very interested and I was very lucky to gain a place with a poor undergraduate degree mark in a totally unrelated field - it was the fact that I could demonstrate a genuine interest that got me the place.
    I've heard very good reports about the dept of Politcs and Public Administration and the staff there but is there much help in terms of networking (with Irish Aid for example who are based in Limerick) or helping you on your way to employment or are you left completely to your own devices?
    Is there much cross over with the other MA courses within the Dept? I'm concerned that Development Arena is very hard to break into and that I might end up pigeon holed. I probably would have done a broader based MA but felt this was my best bet to get accepted due to my background. I really don't want to 'waste' time and money and be in exactly the same situation employment wise at the end of the degree (not getting any younger etc)? Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks. :confused:

I will try and answer some of your questions. The most important is with regard to are you better off doing a masters and the simple answer is yes. It does not guarantee better employment but with the current economic climate it can only help.

The Department is good and the staff are friendly and very helpfull. However, the department is very focused on a certain aspect of Politics i.e. International Relations, Development, etc. This might not be a problem for you but there is not a huge amount of comparative politics at the University.

There is a bit of cross over between the different MA's with the exception being the European Integration degree. That is more segregated.

With regard to jobs I dont think you appreciate the difficulty in getting a job in the areas you described. Irish Aid is based in Limerick but that doesnt matter. If you want to work for them you have to go through the same selection process as anybody else.

Alot of the people who do these MA's consider working in the are of development with NGO's. This work is tough, low paying and very difficult to get. Dont think that just because you might get an MA in the area that it means you will be guaranteed a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bakewell

Thanks for your reply!

My interest lies in getting into a consultancy role. I know of people (who's backgrounds are in politics) who work for economic consultancies tendering and running aid projects overseas. My background is in planning, project management and jobrunning.

I suppose my question is do you think this MA will open other doors if not necessarily lead to a job in the development sector or is it something that on completion I'll be unlikely to be able to use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 khn10ur3bogzpa

Too many variables for me to answer that question. You have to make your own mind.

What I will say is that it can hardly hurt your career prospects.

Advertisement