Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrinkage in Beech Butchers Block

Options
  • 10-07-2009 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

All,

I have a solid beech butchers block (1000 * 450) - 50 mm grain up blocked/surrounded by frame.

Some of the blocks have shrunk slightly (despite copious oiling) leaving a number of small gaps (max 1mm) in the top of the block which are catching crumbs/liquid etc.

Does anyone have a good solution for filling ? Is standard wood filler the answer or are there any other magic fixes ?

ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

ifah wrote: »
    All,

I have a solid beech butchers block (1000 * 450) - 50 mm grain up blocked/surrounded by frame.

Some of the blocks have shrunk slightly (despite copious oiling) leaving a number of small gaps (max 1mm) in the top of the block which are catching crumbs/liquid etc.

Does anyone have a good solution for filling ? Is standard wood filler the answer or are there any other magic fixes ?

ta.

I dont know if standard wood filler would do the job, or would be safe. I'd imagine wax might do the job? You can get wax sticks in various shades for filling small gaps. It'd be waterproof also!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

excellent - will try them. anywhere recommended to get them around dublin ?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

Woodworkers in Terenure. Ask them about safe options for filling aswell.

Advertisement