Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricted Websites - Advanced Virus Remover

Options
  • 10-07-2009 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, having some trouble here.

One of those pesky fake antivirus things somehow downloaded itself onto my computer yesterday. Its called "Advanced Virus Remover". It opened up a fake antivirus, loads of alert messages, a fake virus alert desktop background etc. It also disables regedit and task manager. I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and it seems to get rid of it when I restart my computer. But whenever I try go to popular websites such as Youtube, Wikipedia, Myspace, Facebook etc. I get the following error message, again, a fake one:

"Restricted Site!
    This web site is restricted based on your security preferences.
    Your system is infected. Please activate your antivirus software."

I was advised to run SmitFraudFix in safe mode, so I did, and this solved the problem, but whenever I restart my computer, its back again - restricted websites and the pesky fake antivirus. It seems to be a recent problem - google searches brings up discussion in other forums all dates in the last couple of days. Anybody have any help or advice? Thanks.

Advertisement