Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS problems?

Options
  • 10-07-2009 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭

This is sort of a hosting question, but it's nothing to do with individual hosting companies, or their support or anything like that.

I moved a site from one host to another a couple of weeks ago, and all worked fine up until last night. However, today the site is unavailable as it seems to be trying to connect to the previous host. This is happening for both me and the owner of the site.

When I do an nslookup in a command prompt (have flushed the DNS), it shows the IP address for the old host. However, cgi-proxies show the site with no problems and two different whois websites show the correct nameservers as well.

Edit - I have also checked this from my home PC that uses different DNS servers, and it worked fine there.

At the moment, I'm using my work connection which I'm pretty certain goes through a different ISP than the site owner, so I'm not sure what the common factor is.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

I had similar issues before. I think it's something to do with the way nameservers cache information where TTL (time to live) may vary quite heavily. So depending on the DNS used to access the internet, you may get redirected to different host IPs that are cached. I doubt you have any way of changing it, really. Except for telling the owner to switch to an ISP with short TTL;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks. I ended up contacting my host, and they said there was a problem with my zone config. It seems to be resolved now, but not sure why it suddenly happened and why it didn't affect everyone.

Anyhow, hopefully that's the end of it.

Advertisement