Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress help please

Options
  • 10-07-2009 10:49am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey Guys, I'm currently doing some Wordpress work and apart from the basics I'm very new to this so I hope I can put some questions here and get some help.

Firstly, I'm moving some blogs to a new hosting package. Is this hard? Currently I'm installing wordpress and setting up, and then I'll work on backing up the DB and moving it across. I'm wondering what is going to happen to files like pictures & images, how does this work?

So I did a clean install of wordpress on a new domain that I want to move one of my blogs to. It says there is a update available, 2.8.1, so i click update automatically, and put in the details, but it says it "cannot find the root directory". The host I'm with brought in some new hosting packages and for this site I had to buy one of the new packages, and everything seems more difficult. I have two other blogs on their old system, but I did not have this problem then.

Anyone ever got this error before or know how i can get around it? I want to be able to upgrade automatically and not have to do it manually..

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Zascar wrote: »
    The host I'm with brought in some new hosting packages and for this site I had to buy one of the new packages, and everything seems more difficult.
    Ask your hoster for assistance and advice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ok I'll get that sorted with them.

In relation to backing up one wordpress database and restoring it to another domain, can anyone give me some pointers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Zascar wrote: »
    In relation to backing up one wordpress database and restoring it to another domain, can anyone give me some pointers?
    See the WordPress docs on Backing Up Your Database (which includes info on restoring it too).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

You're going about this the wrong way - it sounds like you're trying to make a new WordPress install and then import the old database which is a bit more difficult - what you need to do is replicate the existing install on a new hosting setup and then you are free to upgrade etc.

Are you moving to a new domain or just a new host?

For both you'll need to move the existing database to the new hosting provider, this is much easier if you've a basic understanding of MySQL databases and tools.

Basically - Move files, import database & update wp-config.php

If you're stuck, PM me your details and I can talk you through it or show you how to migrate correctly.

More WordPress docs - http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

Advertisement