Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review: Grand Hotel Wicklow - grand its not!

Options
  • 09-07-2009 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Please let this be a warning to anyone considering staying in “The Grand Hotel”, Wicklow, Ireland.

I had occasion to stay there for 1 night and would recommend not staying in this hotel. We were going to a party on a Saturday evening, checked-in, got changed and had a quick drink in the bar and then off we went to a party in a nearby house.

When we woke up the next morning and had time to survey our room, we realised it was deplorable – a hole in the ensuite door, the entire ceiling in the en-suite had the paint peeling off, there was no shampoo in the bathroom, not even a bottle of mineral water in the room and they were charging €110 B&B for this! On way to breakfast the wallpaper around the lift button was ripped/peeled off and the paint on the wood work looked as if it had not been painted in 20 years, a yellowy/nicotine shade of white!

Now, I know I’ll be slated by people that will say you should have complained on the night and been moved to another room – 1. We did not realise the dreadful conditions as we were in a rush, 2. I don’t believe any room would have been better (friends stayed in another room and the toilet seat was broken!)

The above is enough to put most people off, but I also want to highlight the complete lack of professionalism and downright dreadful customer service. The following morning after breakfast (I must point out that breakfast and waiting staff were good), and upon checkout I complained and pointed out that the standard of decor in the common areas and condition of room was not worth €20 never mind €110. The very pleasant and helpful staff member behind the desk said that they would check with the manager, after approx 7-8 mins they returned and said the manager could not be found (I suspect he was not prepared to deal with me!). The staff member offered an €80 rate but with a bit of tooing and froing we agreed on €60, it was agreed with them and I quote “if there is a problem with this, the manger will contact you before charging anything to your credit card, but there should be no problem”.

You would think that was the end, but then a number of weeks later my credit card was charged for the balance of the original quoted B&B rate. I made several attempts to resolve this issue with the hotel, but got nowhere and was told that the charge would stand, this is after I had agreement with a hotel staff member! I must add that the level of customer service I received from the individual on the phone was deplorable (they even went so far as to comment ‘”well you didn’t sleep in the lift” when I mentioned about the wallpaper by the lift) and the manger would not take my call after being told that he would call me back.

The above unauthorised credit card debit was done to another couple that stayed that night, again after agreement of a €60 rate the next morning with the same front of house staff member.

I know people are going to say tough luck, but I just wanted to point out that this hotel is far from “grand” as are the individual staff members I mention above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

thats sounds terrible especially the comments made when you tried to seek resolution. I would suggest sending a letter to the General Manager (outlining names of individuals you dealt with), not the duty manager who was probably only a trainee and if still not satisfied, report the incident to the Hotels Federation or Consumer Assocation. Unauthorised debits of your credit card is a very serious charge and should be taken 110% seriously by the authourity in the Grand Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I agree with Ding Dong's advice. Moved from Wicklow to Travel Reports & Reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dubbug1971

Hey guys,

Thanks for the great advice, I will certainly follow up on that.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

dubbug1971 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Much appreciated.

Honestly dont let it go. Keep ringing and ringing til you get an answer. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I entirely commiserate with your experience.
    But none of this comes as the slightest surprise.

If you want some ghastly reading search for the hotel on tripadvisor.

I know the hotel well and since its last change of hands will not cross its dorr for any reason. Its an embarassment for the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭zodiak

had me debs there.. what a hole.. got food poisioning from there meal that reminded me of that ****e that comes in a can that u feed ur dog

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

dubbug1971 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Much appreciated.

If you contact your credit card company you can ask that the unauthorised charge be put in dispute. Therefore they will not bill you until you have finalised your dealings with the hotel, and if they find that your charge is illegal they will not forward the charge to the hotel.
    Do it now. Thats what credit cards are for, to protect your purchases etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Just spent the night in the Grand Hotel ,Wicklow. Terrible room, unbearably hot and noisy. Never again. Was not surprised to find this thread about it.

I have never had to complain about a hotel room before, but the manager didn’t seem to care. It was a case of, well we have your money now so goodbye.

On previous visits to Wicklow town I’ve stayed at the Bridge tavern (really nice place and nice breakfast) but thought this time that I’d spoil myself a little. Big mistake.

Anyway, be warned. Do not be fooled by the nice exterior of this hotel. Because inside it is a kip.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Fooster King

I don't know - sounds very "convenient" that you were in a rush the evening before but able to see everything the next morning. If you had mentioned it when you saw the room then you'd have a case but by availing of the service and then complaining afterwords - you don't have a leg to stand on. You probably do this on a regular basis but have the hump becoz this time they called your bluff! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I don't know - sounds very "convenient" that you were in a rush the evening before but able to see everything the next morning. If you had mentioned it when you saw the room then you'd have a case but by availing of the service and then complaining afterwords - you don't have a leg to stand on. You probably do this on a regular basis but have the hump becoz this time they called your bluff! ;)
    What nonsense.

Infraction issued.

• Advertisement
Advertisement