Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax online banking system located in the UK?

Options
  • 09-07-2009 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I started wondering today how and where did Halifax build their system (I'm computer pro, so I like to know these things). I did some tracerouting today and discovered that their online bank system is most likely based in the UK. Their IP traceroute doesn't reach the final destination probably because of some sort of ICMP packets filtering, so I'm not 100% sure, but last host names point to Manchester and Sheffield.

Here is where I started to be concerned. My money in Ireland are being managed by some computer systems located in the UK. It is legal?

Should I be concerned or I'm overreacting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

bk86a wrote: »
    I started wondering today how and where did Halifax build their system (I'm computer pro, so I like to know these things). I did some tracerouting today and discovered that their online bank system is most likely based in the UK. Their IP traceroute doesn't reach the final destination probably because of some sort of ICMP packets filtering, so I'm not 100% sure, but last host names point to Manchester and Sheffield.

I think you might find it is near the town of Hallifax...
    bk86a wrote: »
    Here is where I started to be concerned. My money in Ireland are being managed by some computer systems located in the UK. It is legal?

Are you so sure that the other banks in ireland host there on-line banking on this island...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

International Banking Group in having computers in International locations shocker!

Legal..umm, why would it not bee?

Concerned..well should the hundreds of thousands of AIB (GB) and Bank of Ireland (UK) customers who have computers here in Ireland processing their information be concerned? Or is it just business as usual?

Overreacting? Just a tad ;)

Advertisement