Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Studies

Options
  • 09-07-2009 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi there,

I did my LC in 2008 and have re-applied for college this year. I have European Studies down as my #1 on my CAO. It looks great, and I love languages, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I was just wondering if there was anybody here who'd be able to give me some information about the course itself. I have a few questions, none of which I can find answers for. So I'll get right to it:

1) How long would the college days be? - I'm easy really, I just need to know what I am getting myself into if I decide to do it. :P

2) I guess it is very theory based, with a lot of essays. Would I have to do presentations? - Picky question, I know! I'm quite a nervous person, so I might as well start mentally preparing myself. :P

3) The erasmus year sounds good. I'd probably do French because I'm alright at it now, what partner colleges are in France? I heard there is one in Dijon, but are there any others?

4) Overall, is it difficult? I like something slightly challenging, but not too hard as I'll probably end up hating it. :o

Sorry for the silly questions. I don't know anybody who has done it, so my knowledge of it is very limited. Any info would be great. :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hagakure_irl

Hey sadly the Tallaght forum is generally dead however I'll try help ya out. Don't know if you've checked it out but here's a lot of info on the site:

http://www.it-tallaght.ie/FullTimeCourses/Humanities/Name,17364,en.html

1) Anyway in terms of hours, I'd say its in and around 15-20 a week. I know engineering have the most and its probably science and computer science. Probably looking at similar time table to marketing or digital media which I don't think is anymore than 20 hours.

2) Yes I think the course has presentations, I hung around with a lot of Erasmus last year and the people that did European studies had to do some presentations so I assume that went for all the class.

3) Afraid I can't really help ya on this, I did see a poster in college for a university in France, it was definitely an international one over there.

4) Can't help ya there :(

Sorry for being a bit vague but hopefully that helps you out someway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Calaska

Thanks for the info, it's not vague at all. :D It seems like a great course and ITT looks like a great college. I hope I get offered it now! :)

P.S. Thanks for the PM too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Calaska

That's fantastic. Thanks so much for replying. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Obviously, a degree from Trinity College, Dublin would be alot nicer

I really dislike the whole "ah sure an IT is grand but X place is better". It's complete rubbish. 4 years down the line when your looking for a job, the place you got your degree will actually make little or no difference to an employer.

Indeed, having a degree from a top university may go against you - an employer told me that they are far more likely to higher somebody from an IT than a university because the university needs to be trained from the ground up whereas a student from an IT normally has a better grounding in his subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Teferi wrote: »
    I really dislike the whole "ah sure an IT is grand but X place is better". It's complete rubbish. 4 years down the line when your looking for a job, the place you got your degree will actually make little or no difference to an employer.

Indeed, having a degree from a top university may go against you - an employer told me that they are far more likely to higher somebody from an IT than a university because the university needs to be trained from the ground up whereas a student from an IT normally has a better grounding in his subject.

or her subject :P

I do agree with what you've said there though. It's important that a person goes to a college/IT because the course they genuinely want to do is there, not because the college has a certain prestige or reputation - that's completely pretentious.

Just because the points are higher in certain colleges doesn't mean the course content or standard of lectures - or degree - is any better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I'm pretty late with this but maybe itll reassure you.

1) How long would the college days be? Last semester it was 10 to 4 most days. But the one before that we had every wednesday off, so it really depends! Its easy to negotiate when classes are held as the numbers are quite small.

2) They are very focused on presentations and stuff. Its horrible but everyone has to do it! Lot of essays w/history and culture classes.

3) There's lots of partner colleges. I don't know about the french ones (i do spanish) but we can choose from about 8 in spain.

4) it isnt too difficult. once you get the work in on time and turn up 75% of the time, you pass. i found politics to be the most enjoyable new subject (well new to me). Culture modules can be a bit repetitive but you get to watch films and eat nice food so thats ok! one critique - the business end of things does my head in, but remember most people haven't done economics or marketing before so its fairly basic to begin with!

anyway, tallaght is great, there's a great buzz about the place and you make friends so easily. I was in UCD for a year before, and i was so nervous about a new college where everyone would be younger than me and fresh out of the leavin! but i felt really at home in itt, in fact i'm not even the oldest in my class :pac:

Advertisement