Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a star a "Star"

Options
  • 09-07-2009 6:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Was reading today about Geldofs daughter studying Scientology so that she could mix in celeb circles. :rolleyes: (One almighty stupid muppet me thinks)

But I was trying to work out what makes a person a REAL star?
    Poise?
    Charm?
    Grace?
    Etc...

Are there any real "stars" out there or are we all just left with pretentious, stupid, "Paris Hilton wannabee's" (gawd help us!)
    Do we gave another in Ireland on AND besides TV that we can call a real star!
    I'd like to nominate Daniel O'Donnell. Can't stand the man (or his singing) but at least he's good for some people, squeaky clean and doesn't behave like a teenage muppet!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Charisma (that includes looks) and talent, I think. In that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I thought this was gonna be about astronomy =(

imo there are no 'Stars' just people with public personas. Fame is a fickle bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Charm, actual REAL talent, poise, having a working brain, the ability to speak and NOT put their foot in it by making/saying stupid statements.

The above gets my money and possible support most days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Peaches Geldof is an attention seeking little cnut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Biggins wrote: »
    Charm, actual REAL talent, poise, having a working brain, the ability to speak and NOT put their foot in it by making/saying stupid statements.

The above gets my money and possible support most days.

I don't think that your support counts for sh*t against all the brain dead people who will buy gossip magazines featuring the latest star who is famous for living in a house on tv or sleeping with footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Nuclear fission.. Oh wrong star, really should read the op before posting.

Abigayle wrote: »
    Peaches Geldof is an attention seeking little cnut.

Yea, thats plainly obvious... (I'd have more respect for her if she made a product that was actually decent. Anything from music to kitchen cabinets!)

...but the question pondering is "what makes a real "star?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

when people notice you in the street and start screaming.....

oh no wait thats if your a murderer

I don't think that your support counts for sh*t against all the brain dead people who will buy gossip magazines featuring the latest star who is famous for living in a house on tv or sleeping with footballers.

Sadly and I agree, this is true. However they might not like me either but sure as schite - they ain't getting my money!
    In fact I go out of the way to make sure they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

ScumLord wrote: »
    Nuclear fission.. Oh wrong star, really should read the op before posting.

It's fusion brother, like the Gillette!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

...but the question pondering is "what makes a real "star?"

Talent, and talent alone. Being attractive is only an added bonus. If you have true talent, you can eventually get the right people to hear you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Kernel wrote: »
    It's fusion brother, like the Gillette!
    Doh, I confused my nuclear reactions again. At least no one got turned into a giant green angry monster this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Sadly and I agree, this is true. However they might not like me either but sure as schite - they ain't getting my money!
    In fact I go out of the way to make sure they don't.

And if more people took that approach it would most likely put an end to so called celebrities, but unfortunately they appeal to people with the same amount of talent/intellect as them. And they far outweigh those not willing to waste their money on such sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

A capital S and a couple of quotation marks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There are very few real stars around now but many many wannabes A , B AND C celebs .Anybody under 50 who are considered stars are mainly products of the tabloid, tv culture we live in .That is not to say that there aren't a few around , I just cant think of any off hand at the moement .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

What makes a star a "Star"?

Being loud, vulgar, fat, ugly and terminally ill with cancer seems to do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

What makes a star a "Star"?

Being loud, vulgar, fat, ugly and terminally ill with cancer seems to do the trick.

She'd white dwarfed last I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Looks like money can't buy you friends after all... she is clueless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

What makes a star a "star"? First and foremost, the reality is that you need a market that your "suits" or "execs" will be able to exploit you in. Unfortunately an actual talent comes second place.

Look at the likes of Megan Fox, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, and Miley Cyrus. They are hardly especially talented. They are average at best at what they do. But they are global superstars nonetheless.

What's the common denominator with these girls? Looks. Little girls want to be and dress like Miley Cyrus. Teenagers want to be and dress like Katy Perry etc etc. Add in songs with a decent voice and words that pander to the targeted audience and you've got a winner in the market.

This is why these girls make it, and this is why the likes of Paul Potts and Michelle McManus fail. It is the sad reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

We do,we do!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

to me, a famous person is nothing more than just a celebrity. They are not known as 'stars'.

The real stars in your lives are the ones who are close to you. Ones who make you feel special. They are the real stars. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Must... Resist... Posting... Link...To Goatse..

Advertisement