Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring Back Slavery?

Options
  • 09-07-2009 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

Please fellow Irishmen, hear me out:

In the current economic climate, Ireland has lost it's competitiveness in the labour market, our economy was built on contstruction (pardon the pun) and our public services and amenities are suffering as a result. We can't build prisons for the scumbags, we can't keep children's hospitals running etc. Our domestic industrial output is poor, usually relying on labour intensive farming and tourism. It seems to me that we need to find a way to get the money flowing into Ireland again.

Now, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_Africa
    African nations typically fall toward the bottom of any list measuring small size economic activity, such as income per capita or GDP per capita, despite a wealth of natural resources. The bottom 25 spots of the United Nations (UN) quality of life index are regularly filled by African nations. In 2006, 34 of the 50 nations on the UN list of least developed countries are in Africa.[1] In many nations, the GDP per capita income is less than $200 U.S. per year, with the vast majority of the population living on much less. In addition, Africa's share of income has been consistently dropping over the past century by any measure. In 1820, the average European worker earned about three times what the average African did. Now, the average European earns twenty times what the average African does.[2] Although GDP per capita incomes in Africa have also been steadily growing, measures are still far better in other parts of the world, such as Latin America, which suffers from many of the same disadvantages.

It seems to me that we in Ireland and the west can develop a mutually beneficial relationship with our third world brethren, and help the plight of the average African born into poverty by re-introducing slavery. Of course, we need not solely turn to Africa for this abundance of labour, we can also look to assist other poverty stricken nations in Asia and other non-European territories. We can get our prisons, hospitals etc. built up, develop labour intensive industry to compete with developing nations and turn our low profit farming into more profitable plantations. Let's face it, we are low on resources, but some mining could be carried out by smaller children, more easily able to access the ore which we have due to their pre-pubescent stature.

These poor people deserve a chance at life, which is why they should be kept in good conditions and protected by legislation. It worked well at generating wealth in the past, and could work even better in today's modern age. I think it's a great way out of this recession - what do you think? We need to look at the hard options to get out of this quagmire, and slavery may be an ugly word, with negative connotations, but perhaps someday the word 'slavery' could be associated with the word 'hope'.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Fine by me, you can pick my cotton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You can pick my nose.

(I'm ever so lazy)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Butt scratcher

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Ill get my white hood out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Picking poor black people as slaves...i dont see anybody having a problem with that

In before the lock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

So let me get this straight, there'll be even less jobs???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Are you suggesting we drag people over here and force them to work for nothing because it's a honour to live in Ireland, because Ireland is so great?

I don't think slaves ever availed of the good parts of any society they were in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

davyjose wrote: »
    So let me get this straight, there'll be even less jobs???

No, more jobs and wealth. Think of the free labour as the engine to kickstart our economy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Kernel wrote: »
    No, more jobs and wealth. Think of the free labour as the engine to kickstart our economy!

If you don't have a paid work force, who will buy the slave produce?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I don't think slaves ever availed of the good parts of any society they were in.

Free bed and board..the PAYE worker doesnt get that for nothing!

• Advertisement

If you don't have a paid work force, who will buy the slave produce?

The slaves will only be involved in the low level production, obviously the slave masters and 'management' would be Irish. It'll open up new business and enterprise on the island, and that can only generate more taxes, and more wealth. I'm surprised nobody has suggested this re-introduction yet.

Are you suggesting we drag people over here and force them to work for nothing because it's a honour to live in Ireland, because Ireland is so great?

What's better, starving to death or living day to day from a rubbish tip? Think about it. Slavery could give life and comfort to so many.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

We already have a form of slavery in Ireland, cheap foreign labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think you have a sound plan, you should set up a stand at one of those jobs fairs and see if you can get any takers. It sounds like just the kind of career I'd love to get into.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

PaulieD wrote: »
    We already have a form of slavery in Ireland, cheap foreign labour.

No,they can leave and go home anytime they like if it doesnt suit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

thought this thread said bring back scurvy, i was shocked and appalled

now i see it says bring back slavery, carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

What's better, starving to death or living day to day from a rubbish tip? Think about it. Slavery could give life and comfort to so many.
    I'll take personal freedom anytime.

It's pretty rich to say that forcing someone to work for your benefit and not paying them, but giving them a good home is a good thing. Using someone else's strength for your own gain is lazy, cowardly and manipulative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

Now we already have slavery , machines are our slaves , we don't pay them do we and how do you know they are not sentient , look at all the mobile phones that are sold into slavery every year .:eek:

I'll take personal freedom anytime.

It's pretty rich to say that forcing someone to work for your benefit and not paying them, but giving them a good home is a good thing. Using someone else's strength for your own gain is lazy, cowardly and manipulative.

You'd rather live on a giant rubbish tip scavenging for food or starve to death than live in relative comfort with a full belly? I doubt it very much - if you ever actually found yourself in that situation Jack.

espinolman wrote: »
    Now we already have slavery , machines are our slaves , we don't pay them do we and how do you know they are not sentient , look at all the mobile phones that are sold into slavery every year .:eek:

Is the technology our slave espinol, or are we slaves to the technology... hmmm.

• Advertisement

I should have added a poll. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Will there be an ethnic requirement, or can white people be slaves too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

But the majority of Nigerians that come here already don't even have to work?

p.s - Check the statistics and that's true, that's not bannable

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

These poor people deserve...

When you're looking for someone to do society's menial tasks, you don't look for poor, starving, weak individuals. You look for healthy, well-fed, muscular individuals.

If you want children to do your mining and other ****ty tasks, we already have loads of our own. Better still, have a few and set them mining. Lead by example.

Better idea: Throw yourself in a mincer and feed a thousand starving Africans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

But the majority of Nigerians that come here already don't even have to work?

p.s - Check the statistics and that's true, that's not bannable
    You spelled banana incorrectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

I suggest we use androids as slaves :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY8-sJS0W1I

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

We should make kids be chimney sweeps again. That was character-building for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Will there be an ethnic requirement, or can white people be slaves too?

Well using white people as slaves probably wouldn't be a great idea. People would see the little white kids in the mines and say "Oh look that little girl, turning tricks for other miners in the corner, looks like my little Jenny!" and then people would start to see them with a human face etc.

Where as if they're all black, nobody will mind! If you want to make it seem like its an equal opportunity industry you could always make some of the black slaves "white up"?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Kernel banned.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement