Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairview Park and rubble of 1916

Options
  • 09-07-2009 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Can anyone point me in the right direction for info on the history of Fairview Park in Dublin? Can anyone confirm whether it was built with the rubble from the Rising?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fixieboy wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm whether it was built with the rubble from the Rising?
    I thought Hill 16 (Croke Park)was built with some of the rubble from the rising (hence it's name)?

(Why would a park be "built"? Wouldn't it be laid out?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yeah Hill 16 was built from rubble of easter rising. Fairview Park was most famous for the headless statue which you can read about in other threads. certainly not going open up that can of worms again.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fixieboy

I thought Hill 16 (Croke Park)was built with some of the rubble from the rising (hence it's name)?

(Why would a park be "built"? Wouldn't it be laid out?)

you're correct....laid out....no rubble in fairview park then no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

fixieboy wrote: »
    you're correct....laid out....no rubble in fairview park then no?
    yes have a book of Dublin here and it does not say much on Fairview park. Only mention is about the nearby Marino estate which was owned by the Earl of Charlemont.
    this is probably the best link
    http://www.fairview-marino.com/history-of-mud-island-by-weston-st-john-joyce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭donaghs

More about it here: http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/Neighbourhood/chapter24.html

North Strand gets its name as that was where the land used to meet the sea. Mud Island was supposed to be fairly tidal. Filled in, and then used as parkland in the late 20's. It gets a mention in Ulyseees.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/DublinCityParks/VisitaPark/Pages/Fairviewpark.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

donaghs wrote: »

North Strand gets its name as that was where the land used to meet the sea. Mud Island was supposed to be fairly tidal. Filled in, and then used as parkland in the late 20's. It gets a mention in Ulyseees.

My grandparents lived in Clonliffe and often talked about the filling in of Fairview Park which they remembered well. At the time it was a matter of great pride in Dublin that the project of "reclaimed land" for the park had gone so well.

Re Ulysses - Father Conmee is the one who passes along the North Strand on his way to his walk up the Malahide Rd. But this was all long before Fairview Park was developed.

Advertisement