Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import Duty And Tax??

Options
  • 09-07-2009 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Not sure if im in the right section or not?
    Right over the next few days im looking to buy a home cinema projector.
    Its coming in from the uk and wanted to know if i have to pay import duty taxes..etc. etc. im not sure what the value is exactly but will be around €400, could anyone tell me how they calculate import duty & Taxes??
    And if i was buying something from the states how much duty & taxes will i be charged?
    Thanks
    Rory:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

rorysllvn wrote: »
    Its coming in from the uk and wanted to know if i have to pay import duty taxes..etc. etc. im not sure what the value is exactly but will be around €400, could anyone tell me how they calculate import duty & Taxes??
    And if i was buying something from the states how much duty & taxes will i be charged?
    Thanks

Not sure about the US but..... If you import from any EU country and pay the taxes there you have no further duties to pay here!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

rorysllvn wrote: »
    Thanks
    Buying electrical equipment from the US, you would normally only have to pay Irish VAT (at 21.5%) on import

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

MiniGolf wrote: »
    Not sure about the US but..... If you import from any EU country and pay the taxes there you have no further duties to pay here!!
    If you import it yourself you will only suffer the overseas taxes. However if you buy online and get the seller to deliver it, it depends on whether they are registered for Irish VAT (which ultimately depends on the amount of business they do in Ireland). If they are Irish VAT registered they should charge Irish VAT at 21.5%, rather than the rate applicable in the overseas country

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

In a similar theme I might be buying 50 brand new items from the states and I'm wondering what the duties and taxes are going to be like. VRT of 21% for a start anyway. Is there other taxes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 IrishShipping

In a similar theme I might be buying 50 brand new items from the states and I'm wondering what the duties and taxes are going to be like. VRT of 21% for a start anyway. Is there other taxes?

Hiya, yes you wil have to pay the tax of 21% - but first of all you should contact the Customs Tarrif Classification Section in Nenagh on 06763241 and ask for a commodity code for your item. They will give you the customs code then for your item and will generally tell you what rate of duty you will have to pay. If you are paying for your the cost of shipping these goods here in Ireland, know that the rate of duty is based on the cost of the freight + the cost of the item, and the vat of 21% will be based on the cost of the freight + the cost of the item + the duty (caculated as above) @ 21%.

If you need a customs broker to clear this for you, or want to discuss further please contact Emma @ Irish Shipping on 01 8774000

• Advertisement
Advertisement