Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name that CMS engine that looks like MS Word

Options
  • 09-07-2009 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

I have a client that would like me to overhaul their website, which is currently a CMS design that uses an admin back-end that is a WYSIWYG editor looking like MS Word. Anyone know the name of it and how much/where to buy online for them (going onto a new hosting service)? They'd prefer NOT to go down the Joomla! route unfortunately.

TIA,

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

It's not TinyMCE is it? If it is you're in luck as Tiny MCE is open source and can simply be downloaded from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Could be FCKeditor - looks the exact same as the one above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Have you looked at the source. I'd be shocked if you couldn't find the info in there.

Also, no reason Joomla, or most decent CMSs can't look have a WYSIWYG editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

p wrote: »
    no reason Joomla, or most decent CMSs can't look have a WYSIWYG editor.

Not the same kind as that in e.g. MS Word toolbars. Joomla does have one, but overall I think it would be a bit more technical for this client.

Thanks for the other suggestions guys, I'm looking into those now too.

Seanie.

Following on from this, I have tried more with CKEditor 3 (a progression from FCKEditor), and I have some issues with it. Has anyone here used any of these basic WYSIWYG editors that I can pick a brain or two on?

Seanie.

• Advertisement

TinyMCE and CKEditor seem to be the WYSIWYG editors I am looking for, but by Christ are they difficult to interpret to get started! I can get the editor to load, but their Help files are useless to tell me how the data gets posted to the page. As it stands, if I use them, anyone who visits the page will be able to edit it.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Seanie M wrote: »
    TinyMCE and CKEditor seem to be the WYSIWYG editors I am looking for, but by Christ are they difficult to interpret to get started! I can get the editor to load, but their Help files are useless to tell me how the data gets posted to the page. As it stands, if I use them, anyone who visits the page will be able to edit it.

Seanie.
    Any time I've used TinyMCE in the past I have put the editor functionality on a page that requires the user to be authenticated before they can use it. Is that something you can introduce on your project? As it's a CMS, do you get the client to authenticate themselves before they start making changes to their pages?

Advertisement