Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends and odd hours

Options
  • 09-07-2009 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey all,
    My name is Lizzie Knight and I'm very much new here, so I thought I'd set things in motion with a thread about the problem with making friends if you're not on top form during the daylight hours. I'm beginning to think I have some sort of antisocial personality disorder but it seems more likely that because I'm asleep all day and up all hours of the night, it's just darn tough to meet people. I'm glued to forums whilst I'm burning the midnight oil, as it were, but it seems that the number of actual real people I know is extraordinarily low. It can feel very isolating. It seems that whenever I call anyone on the phone they're sound asleep, and whenever anybody calls me I'm asleep. Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Firstly, welcome. :)
    I'd say a lot of posters here can relate. This forum however is a great place to make new friends of the nocturnal variety. Stick around and get chatting.
    There's a sticky thread at the top of the forum for new posters to introduce themselves. Then why not pop into 'The Lair' -our general chat/banter thread. There's always something going on in there.
    We also do IL meet-ups now and then. Great time/place to get properly aquainted with like minded people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There are loads of boards beers (the nocs here have one every so often as well). You could head along to one of those. I haven't been to one yet (should be heading to one soonish) but they're meant to be great craic and every one seems to get on well despite not knowing anyone before going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rainbow_Pens

Alas, I live in London. So I think meeting up with forum types is probably out of the question. Because few of you seem to live here and because the trains stop around 1:00AM (another downside to insomnia - getting stranded in central London).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I understand what you're saying there. Being a creature of the night does make it difficult to relate to so-called normal people. That's why I post here, it gives me some form of human interaction during my alert periods.
    I also would find it difficult to attend a beers as I have an ocean between me and any beers i would wish to attend.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Alas, I live in London. So I think meeting up with forum types is probably out of the question. Because few of you seem to live here and because the trains stop around 1:00AM (another downside to insomnia - getting stranded in central London).

Never stopped me before. Used to date a girl from Leeds. Ryanair is really cheap. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Oh and in answer to your question, when I am on shift I have that feeling of isolation all the time. One of the main reasons I threw my back into organising this forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

SDooM wrote: »
    Never stopped me before. Used to date a girl from Leeds. Ryanair is really cheap. :D

Ryanair's twisted network goes even further afield. ;):o

Most of my friend's are all students, so if I ring people up at two in the morning, they're probably awake, drunk and out, so it's not an issue for me really.

I would say though, that my habit of staying up until dawn for shíts and giggles is probably unique amongst them. Then again, after three or four in the morning, I'm often happier alone. It can be kinda cool after all, especially that feeling of being the only person awake and alert.

And at the OP, central London at night's fcuking scary tbh. It's like 28 Days Later only with way more homeless people instead of zombies. It's really sad tbh. Haven't been to London in a few months, but last time I was there the centre was a ghosttown other than American tourists. Also managed to get lost in the 'City' after a night in Fabric and spent the dawn wandering about there, but that wasn't nocturnal related so much. :p

Advertisement