Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girlfriends fish died

Options
  • 08-07-2009 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

I bought my girlfriend a convict damsel about 7 months ago.

We cleaned out the bowl the other day and changed abit of the water, however we couldnt get the salt thermometer thing right. We kept adding salt but the green line kept submerged so we figured we would leave it for a while to let the salt desolve but nothing changed.

Then my girlfriend noticed his face was while which usually meant he was in distress so she added more salt and went to bed and poor eddie passed away during the night.

Do you think our salt reader thing is broken?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Personally don't know anything about goldfish salt reader things, but I'm not sure if people here would be able to tell? Are they expensive? it might have been dodgy or broken and not registered the level of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Hygrometers can seize up when they are used as the hinge bit is very sensitive. You need to flush it out with warm tap water before and after you use it. I would also give it a gentle shake to make sure the needle can move freely. When filled with water you might also need to flick the hygrometer with your finger to free the needle up and allow it to rise, leaving it for a few minutes to settle in case there are any bubbles stuck to the needle which would give a false reading.

What are you doing keeping a marine fish in a "bowl" anyway?!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Well its not a bowl but a big container thaing with a light and a heater and air thingy. I just figured anything you keep a fish in was called a bowl.

ANyway our hydrometer dosnt have a needle, its a thermometer thing that bobs in the water with a green strip that has to be between the water and the air. Does this make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Oh, Like this>>>hydrometer.jpg

I am more familiar with this type>>>sea%2520test%2520hydrometer%2520large.jpg

I'd really advise you to stick with tropical freswater before you start keeping marines. It really is quite a bit of a science. I have kept fish all my life and I got away from marines a few months ago after having them for nearly a year. They are just too much hassle and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Yeah they are a pain in the hole alright.
    Thanks for the advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement