Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proving to people in Paranormal forum that they can be tricked

Options
  • 08-07-2009 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

After reading and answering some threads in the paranormal forum it looks like some people just want to believe in the supernatural. They cant help it. They dont really have any proof, but are willing to say any experience they cant explain is supernatural. They arent even open to the idea that they could be mistaken at all.

I suggested in one thread that some of us go and set up the next "Ghost hunt" to give them some false positives. Basically what i am proposing is to get there before them and set up some experiences for them.

Let them find their "proof" and let them come back here and talk about it for a few days. Then we post what they actually experienced and how we set it up. And see if they believe that they are capable of being tricked into seeing ghosts after that.

I have had a few people contact me about it already. And have someone on the inside who can give us advance warning of a "hunt". They will also help lead the "hunters" into our little experiment. Its someone who doesnt really believe, but they go on the "hunts" for the craic.

We have some very good ideas. Ive written to James Randi too but he hasnt answered yet :)

I think this would be an interesting experiment to see just how objective people who claim to experience the supernatural really are.

Anyone else who wants in let me know via PM or otherwise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'd love to do the same thing with a time machine and some of those mentalists that reckon the earth is 6000 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Leave them alone, they're not harming anyone and are more than entitled to their beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Yeah sounds like a great plan. So long as it isn't posted in the most public board on the site they'll never know

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

As was mentioned, posting this on the site's busiest forum was not the cleverest idea. On the other hand whoever moved it here was clearly a genius :)

I feel I should point out that this forum is not for people blindly believing that everything is supernatural. There are very few people, if any, people who post here like that. This forum is for people to discuss possible paranormal explanations for events and experiences. When people want to discuss the possible scientific explanations there some excellent scientific forums available instead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd also add that several of the members here who organise investigations have built up a good reputation with the owners which is vital in allowing these investigations to proceed.

If people do the above and try to disrupt investigations, they could damage this reputation, and seriously jepordise the ability of forum members to organise investigations.

Please do not spoil everybody's fun just to prove some petty point so you can bask in your own smugness.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement