Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neap with fas

Options
  • 08-07-2009 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

1. How do you get on the National Employment Action Plan with F.A.S.

2. More specifically hoW do i get a third level course approved by them “with“ N.E.A.P.
    ie. i will be on jobseekers for 9 months when i register for my college course, i think i will need N.E.A.P for this in order to get B.T.E.A back to education allowance, any info?

3. You need to be "on"? N.E.A.P for 9 mounts or 234 days, i'm aiming for 234 days, but is that from the time i started getting jobseekers up until i register, or from the time i started getting jobseekers until i go into the social welfare with my proof of registration + course acceptance?
    all help greatly appreciated + any relevant info

ps. feel free to ask me anything, need help with this one

pss. am a mature student, and have a thrid level college place

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭silasrat

abo,
    im in the exact same boat as you,i went down to fás and they told me that the social welfare are the people responsible for getting you on the neap,then when your on it you need a fás dude to recommend the course you want to do back to them so they can approve you for the btea.......

also,contrary to that,ive also been told that all you need to do is download the form bte1,get your letters of offer together and set up an appointment with the jobs facilitator in your local welfare office and they can sort it,im in the middle of that,just waiting for her to get back from holiday so ill let you know how i get on if your not sorted by then.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 abo

thanks,
    have you been on jobseekers for 9 months as of now? or will you be on it 9 months in september?

when you talked to social welfare what did they say?

thanks again

ill only be eight months on it in september but they're gonna add on a month from last year to make up the nine......
    what college/course you doing?.... just out of curiousity.......
    also get the maintainance grant thing in the pipeline coz you should be entitled to that too..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 abo

hi,
    Very interesting, we’re in the exact same boat. i will be on jobseekers in September for 8 months. i thought that i would not be able to get it, but looking at the accompanying documents online( sw70 form ), i saw that i can include any time spent on FAS as long as i'm on jobseekers just before the course starts.

From sw70 form:
    Time spent on BTEA, VTOS, FÁS/Fáilte Ireland
    Training course, Youthreach, FIT, Community
    Employment Schemes, Social Economy
    Programme, Rural Social Scheme, Back to Work
    Scheme, FÁS Job Initiative or Job Assist may
    count towards the qualifying period. You may go
    directly from one of the above schemes to Back
    to Education Allowance provided you were
    getting one of the qualifying social welfare
    payments listed on pages 6 to 8, before you
    started the scheme. You must start your
    approved course of study within four weeks of
    leaving the scheme. Otherwise you must be
    getting a qualifying social welfare payment
    immediately before starting an approved course
    of study.

i was in a fas course for a few months.

i can also include any time spent on injure which i have 2 months.

From sw70:
    Time spent on Illness Benefit can count towards
    the qualifying period, as long as at least 50% of
    the qualifying period was spent on the relevant
    social welfare payment that actually qualifies you
    to take part in the BTEA scheme.

i haven't contacted social welfare as they might cut my payment off until September.:(

could you run through exactly what you said to social welfare when you asked about beta. send me a msg if you like.
    would be a big help, as beta would be great.

ps thanks for the heads up about the grant, i was already applying to that.
    do you know if i can include any time spend on a FAS course, or injury befit for definite, or or there any conditions. i know i need at least 50% time on jobseekers + injury if they let me have it.

i should be able to get it?

pss will be in UCC

thanks again

all i can tell ya is my experience of the situation,other than that we're both readin off the same websites!
    so far,ive been told that if your only 8 months on the dole (as we are),
    they will take into account any time previously signing on or on one of the schemes you've mentioned earlier,as long you were on them no longer than one year ago,so you'll have your 8 months in september and if you had a month or so on a scheme after say last june or july then your set.
    I wouldnt leave it too late to talk to them coz you know wot the backlogs are like in the SW at the mo.....
    you cant your payment into a mortgage account......
    you can print the form off their website,(BTE1).....
    make an appointment with the jobs facilitator in your local SW office,
    bring the forms,your letter of offer, ID, proof of address etc and you should be in the zone..........
    as for the maintainance grant,if you were livin independantly as of october last year you'll get that too but get the ball rollin on that soon coz you need to get P21's, utility bills,P60's,and all manner of mad stuff together and have it in by end august........
    hope this is helpin ya coz i feel like im ramblin on!

• Advertisement

Hi all.
    Sorry to dig up this old thread but i was reading it for my own research to the B.T.E.A.
    Am planning on going back to college in Sept and will have been on the jobseekers 9 months then.
    Today i asked my local SW centre get on the N.E.A.P. They said i cannot get on it until i am signed for on 3 months but they will make a note of it and as soon as i do they will add me to the N.E.A.P register.
    Id imagine ill be eligible for the B.T.E.A. in Sept? Anyways hope this post could help people in any way possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 suzannebrowne

Sorry to ask but what exactly is NEAP?. Is it only for specific third level courses?. Im on SW for a year and have applied to ucd as a mature student. Ive never heard of this scheme before. Id really appreciate any info
    Thanks

Sorry to ask but what exactly is NEAP?. Is it only for specific third level courses?. Im on SW for a year and have applied to ucd as a mature student. Ive never heard of this scheme before. Id really appreciate any info
    Thanks

NEAP is the National Employment Action Plan. Before you are eligible for the BTEA (Back to education allowance) you must be on SW for 9 months, and according to the information i was given midweek i must be on SW 3 months before i can sign on to neap. NEAP is basically an initiative to get people back into employment and i suppose the BTEA is an incentive to sign up to NEAP.

EDIT: Just phone up and ask to be put on NEAP as soon as you can otherwise you wont be eligible to receive BTEA

Advertisement