Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden waste

Options
  • 08-07-2009 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

I have a huge pile of garden waste, grass cuttings, hedge cutting etc. and I need to get rid of it. Just wondering what can I do? Is it legal to burn garden waste? I could then just get rid of the ashes. I think it is but not sure, any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Burning is illegal, so I'm afraid you're going to have to eat it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Is there not something though where your allowed burn garden waste? I thought there was but dunno where the thought came from!

Banned in urban areas for a long time, still occurs in some rural areas, but ban is effective countrywide.

You could dig a pit and bury it otherwise you'll have to bring to a Green Waste facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

just leave it the corner and make compost:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

Our local recycling centre accepts unlimited garden waste for a fiver, as long as it is delivered in an ordinary car. It costs more if brought in a trailer or a van. I don't know what the situation is elsewhere in the country but there is bound to be a similar facility nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Feckin green recycling centres are an utter rip-off.
    You have to have everything packaged in plastic bags and each bag has to have a sticker costing 2.50.
    I helped my mother tidy up her very small front garden and we filled 11 bags with stuff so you can imagine how much it cost to dispose of.
    I usually dump bulkier green waste in dribs and drabs in my normal bin or my brown bin.The trick to getting rid of branches ertc is to cut them up with a saw and sacateurs into 6 inch lengths,its annoying work but you can fit a lot more in the bins if you take the time.
    Grass cuttings can be spread around the base of trees and larger plants to act as a mulch and to keep moisture in.
    You COULD bury your stuff but its a lot of effort.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

coolmine recycling centre has no such rule about bagging garden waste - in fact, their garden waste section is just a big pile...

we filled a few skip bags and just emptied them out onto the pile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Paddy001 wrote: »
    I have a huge pile of garden waste, grass cuttings, hedge cutting etc. and I need to get rid of it. Just wondering what can I do? Is it legal to burn garden waste? I could then just get rid of the ashes. I think it is but not sure, any help appreciated.

Run up a UJ or 2, play some heavy Lambeg tunes and burn it before midnight tonight:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 getmoving

Dublin City Council run a free drop off for garden waste at the weekends in Finglas. Look up their website or call them for exact details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Riordan123

set up a wormery or jus get a compost bin and the composers will eat all thw waste :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Riordan123 wrote: »
    set up a wormery or jus get a compost bin and the composers will eat all thw waste :D

Done this with great results

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Done this with great results

I was considering setting up a wormery, is it effencient (excuse spelling!!), does it reduce the waste/weight in wheelie bin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Mozart1986

It probably doesn't reduce waste much and i wouldn't do it if I wasn't gonna use it after. It takes about 5 months and its an ugly thing in the garden. We have two and there is a minor bit of science to it. Either it works in 4 months over the summer or 7 or 8 or 9 months if you don't organise your wormery. And it sounds like Paddy has a one off dilemna with his garden waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sunshinegirl

compost bins are brillant, loads of waste goes in veg peelings,egg shells, garden waste etc it makes a difference. also a shredder does a good job at mulching up the branches. then simply add them to compost bin.

compost bins are brillant, loads of waste goes in veg peelings,egg shells, garden waste etc it makes a difference. also a shredder does a good job at mulching up the branches. then simply add them to compost bin.

hmmm.. Handy! :D

Riordan123 wrote: »
    I was considering setting up a wormery, is it effencient (excuse spelling!!), does it reduce the waste/weight in wheelie bin?

I wouldn't think it would reduce the weight of your bin much. What it does do is give you lots of plant feed. I'll take some photos and show when I've time.

Scottie99 wrote: »
    I wouldn't think it would reduce the weight of your bin much. What it does do is give you lots of plant feed. I'll take some photos and show when I've time.

That would be great!! Thanks! :D

I've had the wormery for around 10 months and its produced around 20 litres of feed. At the start, I didn't empty the feed (juices) as often as I should have. To my cost, I lost quite a few worms........cause of death, drowning!!:D
    You don't need to empty the mixture, just turn it over ever month or so(Just invest in some good gloves!:)) and the volume in the bin seems to drop.

I'm no expert at this and anyone has any suggestions or advice please feel free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Chuckchuck

Start a compost heap

That wormery is simply a bin with a run-off tap and looks a right mess! Would the layered type wormery not be a much easier and more productive solution?

• Advertisement

That wormery is simply a bin with a run-off tap and looks a right mess! Would the layered type wormery not be a much easier and more productive solution?

Its a bin, its not meant to be beautiful and it sits next to all the other bins we use. :confused:
    As for productivity, 20/25 litres of juice is not a bad return in 10 months:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

getmoving wrote: »
    Dublin City Council run a free drop off for garden waste at the weekends in Finglas. Look up their website or call them for exact details.

Is this still the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bob90909

nope its not the case any more . They have moved it now. it used to be at the junction of st helenas rd and tolka valley rd in finglas but its been moved in the last 6 months. there is a sign on the fence by the side of the road there saying where its moved to but Cant remember where.
    A bin truck used to park up there on the weekend and you could bring your garden waste along.

Advertisement