Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do!!!!

Options
  • 08-07-2009 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi im 22years old,
    im out of work now so i want to go to college
    but its 23years old to be a mature student,
    and i cant go as a student cos i never done my leaving cert so what can i do im sick of sittin around bored off me head. There must be more courses out there please can anyone help me!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Come round my house. I run a course called 'Cleaning Up AnonoBoy's Stuff Everyday'.

Enrollment is cheap enough - just bring beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Lie

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

jason2501 wrote: »
    Hi im 22years old,
    and i cant go as a student cos i never done my leaving cert so what can i do im sick of sittin around bored off me head. !
    Grow up. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Won't you need an LC anyway to go to college? do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Do your LC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

fap so intensely that you think you've worked your ass off all day and sleep in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jason2501

markok84 wrote: »
    Won't you need an LC anyway to go to college? do that.

no if ur 23 u wont need it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,294 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

im bored off me head.

Forget college

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Or Fás courses? Some form of access course/PLC that would be applicable to something you'd think you'd want to do in college/uni?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Come round my house. I run a course called 'Cleaning Up AnonoBoy's Stuff Everyday'.

Enrollment is cheap enough - just bring beer.

It's a trap! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Theres a classic stone wall building Fás course up here in Donegal for 32 weeks. After that you can relax until college term rolls around again. Plus, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you desperately need a classic stone wall, well, you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi im 22years old,
    and i cant go as a student cos i never done my leaving cert so what can i do im sick of sittin around bored off me head. There must be more courses out there please can anyone help me!!!!

You don't need a leaving cert to apply as a mature student. That's the whole point of mature student application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

no if ur 23 u wont need it!!!!
    They take people on past experience,depending on what you wanna do & what youve done in the past your LC could stand big time to you just to prove to them you can cope with some form of academic assesment! So yeah your LC is important in that sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Burkatron wrote: »
    They take people on past experience,depending on what you wanna do & what youve done in the past your LC could stand big time to you just to prove to them you can cope with some form of academic assesment! So yeah your LC is important in that sense!

That only really comes into it if the course you apply for is full, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i never did a leaving cert, ended up going to my local VTOS (vocational training opportunites scheme) there may be a centre near you http://www.vtos.ie/joomla/

spent 2 years there, doing an ncva level 2 course (now renamed FETAC level 5 i believe), after completing that award i was eligible for a number of courses in the various IT's around the country, ended up going to Athlone IT and doing a cert in business, then my diploma in business and finally after 4 years i got my degree with first class honours :) this degree allowed me to do my masters in NUI Galway (which was a great two years btw :p)

so moral of the story, you do not need a LC to go to college

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jason2501

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i never did a leaving cert, ended up going to my local VTOS (vocational training opportunites scheme) there may be a centre near you http://www.vtos.ie/joomla/

spent 2 years there, doing an ncva level 2 course (now renamed FETAC level 5 i believe), after completing that award i was eligible for a number of courses in the various IT's around the country, ended up going to Athlone IT and doing a cert in business, then my diploma in business and finally after 4 years i got my degree with first class honours :) this degree allowed me to do my masters in NUI Galway (which was a great two years btw :p)

so moral of the story, you do not need a LC to go to college

Thanks i think this maybe the best way going about it,

i had a look at some courses and would be interested in but im wondering im 22 and what age groups would be there

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Can't believe i bothered doing the leaving cert. Could have just waited til i wass 23 and went to college. Dammit :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Thanks i think this maybe the best way going about it,

i had a look at some courses and would be interested in but im wondering im 22 and what age groups would be there

thank you

it depends, when i started i was the youngest on the course (i was 20 at the time), there was another guy a few months older than me and a few girls a few years older, the rest were mostly women in their late 30s/early 40s. it was a great course though, made lots of friends whom i still keep in contact with even though its been 10 years since i finished

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

I'm assuming you won't be eligible to apply for mature studentship till next year, September 2010.

Do an access course, it's far easier to get into university if you've done the access course. Plus you get a taste of some of the courses you might possibly do Some VEC's used to do a course called university foundation skills aswell, might set you up nicely. AFAIK you can avail of Back to Education allowances and all that if you've been unemployed over six months.

Failing that, get a hobby, take up the piano, or try to beat your faps per day personal best. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

Hi im 22years old,

Do an electrician's course, those lads don't do anything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 AlanC27

what courses are out dere for a mature student??????

Advertisement