Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need a car?

Options
  • 08-07-2009 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey All!

Moving down to Limerick at the end of the summer to start my Masters...woo hoo...first time away from home. God im sad!

Anyhoo as im not from Limerick was wondering if i need a car to get me around. Im thinking about living in Annacotty - its so pretty :o - but could be a fair whack to walk everyday. I was thinking maybe a bike but then i hear it rains in Limerick every day :D Eek!

So can anyone recommend - car or no car? Money is tight as ive to pay fees but can do if needs must.

Also what is the situation like with parking in UL? Are cars safe - heard something about cars being stolen from the campus? :eek:

RE bikes....anyone know how much does a second hand decent jobbie might set me back - is there some sell off of second hand bikes at the beginning of college term?

Cheers everyone...really apreciate any advice you can offer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

you dont need one need one but it would come in handy iv gotten on just fine for two years without one but i would like one for being able to get away from the campus at the weekends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Annacotty is a good bit out from college and I'd say definately go for gettin a car. Think of ALL the benefits. Yeah it rains in limerick and this winter it was particularly horrible in the mornings with snow, ice, hail etc...
    Think of going grocery shopping, way handier to take stuff home in the car than struggle with the bike or carry it all the way to Annacotty.
    Then what if you want/have to go home at the weekend, handier takin your own little wagon than having to pay for a taxi to the bus/train station.

If you can I highly recommend one. Especially if you're thinking of living in Annacotty.

Just my 2 cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

In the long run it'll work out good to have a car, but if money is tight the kind of car you could get wouldn't be a long run job, so I'd say just live closer to campus.

Woodhaven would be a good compromise and an umbrella would be much cheaper than a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MBEC

I went to college in UL and never had a car, wouldn't have been able to afford it and I got on fine but I always lived near the college. I now work in the area, live in annacotty and have a car. I would say it would be difficult to do without a car if living in annacotty. Just from the point of view of dark winter nights gettin home. The nitelink doesn't go as far as annacottty. The eurobus does stop in the newtown centre but you'd still have a walk to where you live. With groceries and stuff would be pretty rough. Its definely possible to cycle in and out but from a safety thing if your studying late and the getting stuff to your house, I would say either get a cheap car or live closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

snroup wrote: »
    Moving down to Limerick at the end of the summer to start my Masters...woo hoo...first time away from home. God im sad!

Fair play to you, and welcome to UL!
    Anyhoo as im not from Limerick was wondering if i need a car to get me around. Im thinking about living in Annacotty - its so pretty :o - but could be a fair whack to walk everyday. I was thinking maybe a bike but then i hear it rains in Limerick every day :D Eek!

So can anyone recommend - car or no car? Money is tight as ive to pay fees but can do if needs must.

Also what is the situation like with parking in UL? Are cars safe - heard something about cars being stolen from the campus? :eek:

Annacotty is nice, and as you say it is "pretty", but it is a nice bit away. Carparks in UL are €3 per day, and thats if you are lucky enough to get a space!
    A bike is a viable option alright if you dont mind getting wet pretty much all the time, because it does seem to rain non-stop in Limerick for 11 months a year.

Cars are safer now supposedly, although there are still some break-ins.
    RE bikes....anyone know how much does a second hand decent jobbie might set me back - is there some sell off of second hand bikes at the beginning of college term?

Cheers everyone...really apreciate any advice you can offer!

There is a bike shop in UL now, and offers good value. It allows the re-sale of bikes back as well. See this thread for info on bike shop: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055611857
    ninty9er wrote: »
    Woodhaven would be a good compromise and an umbrella would be much cheaper than a car.

I agree that moving closer would be the best option. There are lots of nice accommodation nearer than Annacotty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement