Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice / Direction

Options
  • 08-07-2009 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

I have a client who I'm installing an AV system into their new showrooms, they have asked me to advise on developing a sort of shopping cart based application to run internally for them. They want to be able to run through various categories and allow their customers to visually pick a list of products and print the results at the end. They need some sort of a CMS back-end to allow them add/remove products/categories themselves.

I've not kept up with developments in web design for many years but my initial thoughts were some kind of an offline, database driven, e-commerce site could do the trick, without having to develop something from scratch.

All I want to do is bring the right people to deal directly with the client. Any advice on what skills I should be looking for these people to have, or where best to find them, would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Is this some sort of touch screen catalog system, where they just select what products they potentially want to purchase and arrive at a cost? Are they just displaying a web page?

A CMS backend to add/remove products including categories would not be much effort, so a custom solution wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Hi Donal, long time no speak.

I think ideally they'd like to do some sort of a touchscreen system but my feelings are that a web page on a big screen with a mouse is all they really need. As always it comes down to budget, which they have asked me to give an indication of. They're not a big business but this idea is core to their business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭daymobrew

What about an open source e-commerce system like osCommerce or Zen Cart or Magneto?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Hi Donal, long time no speak.

I think ideally they'd like to do some sort of a touchscreen system but my feelings are that a web page on a big screen with a mouse is all they really need. As always it comes down to budget, which they have asked me to give an indication of. They're not a big business but this idea is core to their business model.
    Hi Daniel,

It has been a while alright :)

Well having a mouse or touch screen - they wouldn't be that different.
    Obviously you just want to show the web page full screen or something.

I'm guessing this is just a catalogue and a basket option just to see what totals come to then they purchase else where.
    If I can be of any help let me know.

Advertisement