Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iomega ScreenPlay™ TV Link EU/UK for €58 on komplett.ie

Options
  • 08-07-2009 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭

Following on from the very popular WD media player from Expansys, just got komplett email offers & noticed this

Iomega ScreenPlay™ TV Link EU/UK for 58 euro on komplett.ie, free collection from Ballycoolin.

Product Description Iomega ScreenPlay TV Link - digital AV player
    Device Type Digital AV player
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 7.8 cm x 2 cm x 8.3 cm
    Weight 100 g
    Key Features Digital audio player, digital photo viewer, digital video player
    TV Standards Supported NTSC, PAL
    TV Output Resolution 480p, 720p, 1080i
    Supported Still Images Formats JPEG
    Supported Audio Formats WAV, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, MP3, AC-3
    Video Playback Formats MPEG-4, XviD, DivX 5.0, DivX 4.0, MPEG-2, MPEG-1, DivX 3.11, AVI, VOB
    External Control Devices Remote control
    PC Interfaces USB
    Included Accessories Remote control, component video cable, composite video cable

Anybody got this or care to comment, thinking of buying myself or splashing out on WD unit that everyone is raving about. At 58 its hard to say no too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

I see no mention of this playing the H.264 codec or the mkv video format, thats a thumbs down for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

WEST wrote: »
    I see no mention of this playing the H.264 codec or the mkv video format, thats a thumbs down for me.
    do any of them do it, or is that not still a relatively new format?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

norbert64 wrote: »
    do any of them do it, or is that not still a relatively new format?

The WDTV plays these formats. If most of your moves are divx, this is a great deal. However the h.264 codec is around for a while now and it's getting more common now since it gives much better quality than divx for the same file size.

Then again maybe Iomega will update the firmware of this player to play more formats?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

would this connect to any tv or would i need a special connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

naughtb4 wrote: »
    would this connect to any tv or would i need a special connection?
    According to Komplett.. it supports HDMI, Composite video/audio or Component video output.

So no special connection required. The most you'll have to if your TV only has a scart connection is buy one of those composite to scart adapters. I've a few them of them.. I'll even send one your way if you do need one.

scartcomposite.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭dfcelt

Thanks for all the replies.
    It is tempting at that price but the fact that there is few reports on unit has made me go towards the WD Media Player.
    Given the firmware updates & amount of good reports on the WD unit I think I'll pay the bit extra & purchase it instead. €89 on Komplett at the moment & can collect in Ballycoolin, Blanch for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

The Iomega ScreenPlay™ TV Link EU/UK is not realy comparable to the WDTV.

As you can see here, what it can play is very limited and it only does 1080i maximum too:

https://iomega-eu-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/iomega_eu_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=19486&p_sid=L9w4avdj&p_lva=20151

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

For the money, you can't beat a free Emtec S800 :
    http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=179661
    500GB storage with recording, DVBT and analog tuner, 20 quid delivered!
    (well, it's currently showing the price as "Free", I expect they'll fix it eventually)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Banjo wrote: »
    (well, it's currently showing the price as "Free", I expect they'll fix it eventually)
    Says it's €259.99 here (excl. delivery).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Eventually came too soon :(
    It's karma, punishing me for ordering one before I notified the Boardsies - I blame myself

• Advertisement
Advertisement