Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much did your parents influence you....?

Options
  • 08-07-2009 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

in music....beliefs.......other tastes etc....

Was talking to a someone earlier and she was telling me about her daughter who's only 18 and is mad into Michael Jackson (always has been). I was thinking this must be a 'recent' ;) development but she told me that she's loved him for a long long time. She grew up listening to his music cos of her Mam is mad into him.....

Set me thinking, my parents music tastes didn't influence me much really to the same extent in music anyway, though I am probably aware of a lot of stuff due to them (e.g. Irish showbands and the likes of Brendan Bowyer.....and I know waaaaay too many Val Doonican and Hank Williams songs than I admit to :o - though tis more due to a grandmother there!:))

They did however bring me up to consider myself a Waterford supporter (all the family both sides are from Waterford) even though I grew up in Tipperary for a lot of my formative years. They drummed it into us we were Waterford and brought us to matches etc etc and then of course we moved back....but there is a chance without that we could've been Tipperary (PHEW! Narrow escape there :D:D)

Anyone else have anything like this???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

They didnt thankfully, they let me develop by myself. Albeit with the occasional clip on the ear....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

My dad tried in vein to make me a spurs fan! I decided when I was 4 I liked Liverpool and have being torturing myslef ever since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

in music....beliefs.......other tastes etc....

Was talking to a someone earlier and she was telling me about her daughter who's only 18 and is mad into Michael Jackson (always has been). I was thinking this must be a 'recent' ;) development but she told me that she's loved him for a long long time. She grew up listening to his music cos of her Mam is mad into him.....

Set me thinking, my parents music tastes didn't influence me much really to the same extent in music anyway, though I am probably aware of a lot of stuff due to them (e.g. Irish showbands and the likes of Brendan Bowyer.....and I know waaaaay too many Val Doonican and Hank Williams songs than I admit to :o - though tis more due to a grandmother there!:))

They did however bring me up to consider myself a Waterford supporter (all the family both sides are from Waterford) even though I grew up in Tipperary for a lot of my formative years. They drummed it into us we were Waterford and brought us to matches etc etc and then of course we moved back....but there is a chance without that we could've been Tipperary (PHEW! Narrow escape there :D:D)

Anyone else have anything like this???

tl;dr

Is the daughter hot? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Probably more than I'm willing to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

TheZohan wrote: »
    tl;dr

Is the daughter hot? :)

I think that I had a bit of Attention Deficit Disorder there as well.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No influences from music really. We all played football, this would come from my Dad who came close to playing for the county, probably if it wasn't for us lot getting in the way. I didn't matter, I was rubbish and didn't last any longer than under 20s. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I notice the gyppo's drive around (young and old) with elvis or big tom or some other (crap) music blaring out of their vehicles.

There must be something to what the op is saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I notice the gyppo's drive around (young and old) with elvis or big tom or some other (crap) music blaring out of their vehicles.

There must be something to what the op is saying!

They probably inherited eight track cassette players that were "found" by their grandparents in the 70s, and can't bear to part with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Burkatron wrote: »
    My dad tried in vein to make me a spurs fan! I decided when I was 4 I liked Liverpool and have being torturing myslef ever since!

Ah good choice YNWA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Not very much to be honest . I do think my musical ear comes from my mother who from earliest memory as a child , was always humming swing tunes and Irish ballads .She was a hard worker so I learned from an early age that work = reward ( but it was a different era) .Dad worked away a lot and tragically died whan I was 13 .I would love to say that mum was there for her kids full time but looking after the concerns and welfare of other non family members , neighbours, seemed to occupy her more than her own and any attempt to force me , brothers and sisters into some sort of comformity ( as in do as I say , not as I do ) was met with the contempt it deserved by most of us ,although it took me till I was 26 to gain the real freedom I so desired and deserved .:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I was allowed to develop on my own mostly. As fate would have it, my mother and I are very similar in many, many respects. Not music though. We HATE each other's music.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I guess I probably got my love of animals from my mam... Nothing else though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Not much to be honest. I listen to some of the songs my parents used to have on when I was a kid but I think that's only really because they remind me of my childhood rather than because I actually like them. I certainly have very different tastes and opinions to my folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

They didn't thank god. The only thing i share with my parents is my surname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭annabellee77

Just to clarify , I did mean the question in the context of influence (osmosis even :)) rather than force anyone to do something/like something..... e.g. I wasn't dragged kicking and screaming to hurling matches in a Déise jersey....we were brought to the matches and due to parents following them we picked it up too... or on the music front growing up listening to stuff and then liking that type of music due to that rather than discovering it yourself.... e.g. I love the showbands stuff or Sinatra, Rat Pack music..... but my own discovered tastes veered more to the rock area!;)

I think we're all influenced a lot more than we care to admit as a previous poster said....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,154 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Always been good with kids because my mother was a child-minder ever since I was about twleve to the time I moved out. She still is.

Have got my sense of humour from my father.

Generally speaking, I think thinks like picking political alligances and football teams comes from paretnal influence too. Kind of frightening, that.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭annabellee77

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Always been good with kids because my mother was a child-minder ever since I was about twleve to the time I moved out. She still is.

Have got my sense of humour from my father.

Generally speaking, I think thinks like picking political alligances and football teams comes from paretnal influence too. Kind of frightening, that.

Ah tis only frightening if your parents are Neo Nazis or something and you are then because of it. Or if you vote one party/sh*te politician simply cos of family loyalties (should use your own brain to work it out)

Or in soccer if your Dad was a looney hooligan and then you got sucked into it.......but just supporting a team cos your parent(s) does isn't frightening! Tis almost a tradition in a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

They indirectly influenced me to be more broad-minded, not exactly the type of thing I could be thankful for while saying grace with them at Christmas dinner mind you, honesty isn't always the best policy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,154 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah tis only frightening if your parents are Neo Nazis or something and you are then because of it. Or if you vote one party/sh*te politician simply cos of family loyalties (should use your own brain to work it out)

Or in soccer if your Dad was a looney hooligan and then you got sucked into it.......but just supporting a team cos your parent(s) does isn't frightening! Tis almost a tradition in a way.

... but if a political party is crap, iut can be very hard to get them out of office.

Regarding the soccer, if people vote with the same level of knowledge that they pick a football team at the age of 7, then that, to me, is frightening.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Not much influence in regards to music. Well, maybe some influence but in the opposite direction. For example, my dad loves Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack and I hate that kind of music. On the other hand, my mom would turn on the oldies radio station in the car when I was growing up and I do love classic oldies.
    She also tried to get my brother and I to love Star Trek, J.R.R. Tolkein, and Sherlock Holmes, but it never worked. I leave the room as quickly as possible whenever she starts on about how sexy Leonard Nimoy is. And my father passed down his love of the Yankees to my brother, but I'm a Rays fan. I guess I was just a difficult child :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭AMixedBag

My dads from cork but my mams from limerick. My mam tried to convert me to being a limerick gaa fan when i was younger. I was till i was 8 but then I noticed how crap they were so I changed to cork. Been going to matches ever since :D. I also liked elvis since I was younger. Hes actually good enough. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

waitasecond, are you calling elvis 'crap'?

Thems fightin' words.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Haha, sorry, didn't mean to offend. What do you drive - a transit or hiace?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭AMixedBag

waitasecond, are you calling elvis 'crap'?

Thems fightin' words.

He was obviously talking about elvis costello. Duh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Haha, sorry, didn't mean to offend. What do you drive - a transit or hiace?!

Pistols at dawn, sir.

Pistols at dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

I think my parents have influenced me to learn from their mistakes..........use a condom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

super-rush wrote: »
    They didn't thank god. The only thing i share with my parents is my surname.

Ian Rush is your dad???? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

I know waaaaay too many Val Doonican and Hank Williams songs than I admit to :o - though tis more due to a grandmother there!:))

whoa, whoa,whoa....one can never know too many Hank Williams songs! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ilovenerds

I can't help but think of Larkins "This be the poem":

"They f*** you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do."

Basically you'll inevitably inherit some of your parents screwed up perspective...that or you'll try so hard to go in the opposite direction that you do almost as much damage to yourself.... Not that I'm a cynic or anything:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Same tastes no, same views no, same beliefs no.
    We all like potatoes though.

Advertisement