Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denial of Service Attacks - explain?

Options
  • 08-07-2009 2:09pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I just saw that one of the large Irish hosts got hit by one of these. I have heard of them plenty before but really I do not understand exactly what they are.

So can someone please explain? How to they happen, and why? How do you stop them? Are they always intentional and malicious?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Zascar wrote: »
    Are they always intentional and malicious?

Not always. Once had some malconfigured but legitmate robots going beserk on one large site I ran, to the extent that the logfiles grew at a ridiculous rate over a weekend until the disk got maxed out causing the OS to crawl. Though that was from a set of subdomains as opposed to a distributed botnet.

Advertisement