Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

female happiness has fallen relative to men’s across the last three decades.

Options
  • 08-07-2009 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

dont know where else to post this... interesting

maybe women prefer egalitarian, low-risk societies, and the cowboy capitalism of the Reagan era had an anxiety-inducing effect on the American female.
    But even in the warm, nurturing, egalitarian European Union, female happiness has fallen relative to men’s across the last three decades.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/26/opinion/26douthat.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

We men got p!ssed off trying to give them everything they demanded and they in turn got miserable at us for being p!ssed off at them. That cheered us up a little bit

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Men have been shifted off the breadwinner podium and now no longer have to spend quite as much time worrying about feeding their family because they have a woman to help them do it.

Women on the other hand now have to worry about bringing in money to help look after their family.

In terms of liberating one's free time, feminism and women's rights has benefitted men more than it has women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭well horse

seamus wrote: »
    In terms of liberating one's free time, feminism and women's rights has benefitted men more than it has women.

Shush!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Yes but what does that mean in real terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

phasers wrote: »
    Yes but what does that mean in real terms?

They need to get back in the kitchen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Wazdakka wrote: »
    They need to get back in the kitchen
    But my computer is in my dining room

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Well, thinking, that makes more sense. Most women are working now and well educated, not locked up in home doing housekeeping and living in their own little world, while the men would know what's going on the world, the dangers and worries.
    Now, most are educated and working. The know the dangers and worries. And as we all know, women tend to get worked up more than men (not a generalisation, I know not all women do, but in fairness, a good share do). This means, there happiness falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

musicmonky wrote: »
    , female happiness has fallen relative to men’s across the last three decades.
    Maybe men's increaed hapiness is related to the large increase in cocaine consumption in recent years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Taking on an extra role probably contributes. Mother/Homemaker/Businesslady is a lot to juggle. On the other hand maybe because we are now able to do more artistic things with ourselves that we are sadder. Art makes people sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭annabellee77

I think that it may be cos women do so much more nowadays. The whole "can have it all" thing.
    And we can. Can have a great career, have kids, get married, have holidays with friends etc etc. This is all great.
    But if it's making ya miserable (and I bet it makes 1000s so) all I would say is cop the f**k on and quit the concept of "having it all"!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

phasers wrote: »
    But my computer is in my dining room

We'll get you a netbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭bakkiesbotha

Women are never happy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Women Suck, Men don't.... Theres your answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Quazzie wrote: »

Some women refuse to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

There's probably a couple of lads on the gay forum, who will dispute that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There's probably a couple of lads on the gay forum, who will dispute that!
    You took the words right out of my mouth ...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭annabellee77

Latchy wrote: »
    You took the words right out of my mouth ...

sucking were ya?? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Latchy wrote: »
    You took the words right out of my mouth ...
    Only the words???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

sucking were ya?? :D:D
    Prefer a good lick myself :D;)
    Only the words???
    Trying to speak with ones mouth full is very hard :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

jumpguy wrote: »
    Well, thinking, that makes more sense. Most women are working now and well educated, not locked up in home doing housekeeping and living in their own little world,

With rights come responsibilties, the working world brings stress and worry to both men and women. Parents particularly have much to juggle.
    while the men would know what's going on the world, the dangers and worries.
    Its true, women were encourged to look at their world in a micro way in terms of managing the family, while men engaged with the world at large. How incredibly patronising and frustrating that would be for most intelligent women, then and now.
    Now, most are educated and working. The know the dangers and worries.
    They also have far greater responsibilties. They are expected to provide for the family, they tend to take on the lions share of the childcare arrangements and responsibilites, and most studies show that they take a far greater role in the domestic end of things than their partners.

And as we all know, women tend to get worked up more than men (not a generalisation, I know not all women do, but in fairness, a good share do). This means, there happiness falls.
    Hugely simplistic, but when you consider all the stuff they have to get worked up about, especially since gender inequality is still a huge part of most womens working lives, I'll concede some truth to that.

Overall the changes made in the last 20-30 years are not necessarily favourable to the 'happiness' factor with women. They used to take responsibility, in full, for the home and family. Now they take responsibility for the home and family (largely), and their jobs. Expectations of women constantly rise too. Especially in terms of how they 'should' look, what they 'should' aspire to, and how good a mother they 'should' be.

Men on the other hand used to face the responsibility of being the sole breadwinner. Marraige was a good thing for men because it gave them the kudos of being the 'head' of the household, the breadwinner, gave them regular sex and stability. Now they get all that and help with the breadwinning too.

No wonder married men live longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

seamus wrote: »

Wouldn't agree. Men still work the same hours. Its caused house prices to rocket and therefore men are still required to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

I knew we shouldn't have given them the vote it just made their lives too complicated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

more choice is not a good thing.
    All these women are "living life to the max" and eventually something has to give.

Women seen what men had and thought, I'll have a slice of that. Which is fair enought. But who is holding the baby? Men cant physically have kids, women have kids. Men help out but its not the same. The mother role is still very strong alll the while juggling social life,work and relationship.

Then there are the mags and "womens tv" . Should I be doing this or this?
    No wonder women are getting more unhappy.

Yet looking after the house should be easier as we have internet shopping, supermarket delivery, house/cleaners and/or babysitters, washing machines, hovers and dishwashers. But this has done is raise expectations.

Don't know why women get so worried, Men couldn't care less about the world
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/jun/01/charlie-brooker-women-men-power

Advertisement