Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dail Holidays

Options
  • 08-07-2009 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

Country's a shambles, economy in the toilet, forecast of 500,000 on the live register, banks swallowing truckloads of cash, TD's on over 100k per annum, Cowen on more cash than Obama, electricians on strike, at least 6 bills to be debated.

Should the Dail break up for a long summer holiday and if so, why?

Personally I believe that everyone is entitled to a break but considering the above, why such a long one. Let them take two weeks like the rest of us. I know that some will say that they are not going to be doing nothing but will be "working tirelessly in their constituencies" my answer is that they told us throughout the local elections that nation issues were separate - that being so, let the local representatives look after the local issues.

TD's should not be allowed leave the office until the work is done and if that means no holidays, so be it - earn your money lads & ladies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I think they should be allowed the 3 - 4 weeks most people in the country gets but extended leave at Christmas and summer is outrageous imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Does it actually make any difference if they're there or not?

All they're doing up in Dublin is stare at the hypnotic swirls the country creates as it goes down the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

So, which exotic far-flung places are these overpaid tools going to on their hols, while us scum are back here digging up newly planted corpses to eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

They'll claim that they don't take actual holidays during this period i.e. they'll continue with constituency work and might only take 1 or 2 weeks in the sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

peasant wrote: »

All they're doing up in Dublin is stare at the hypnotic swirls the country creates as it goes down the toilet.

peasant, i do think it makes a difference,if not from a productivity aspect then at least from a value for money/punishment aspect. The 'chosen few' have presided over a big fat elephant's fanny of a bust whilst the opposition have done nothing other than say "we knew this would happen ... "

Make them do a stint of political detention - sit there and put a proper plan in place and you're not coming out until the country's fixed. If anyones starts bickering, they have to kiss Harney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

The state the country is in right now the Fcukers should only be allowed to take their holidays in one of the prisons.

See how long the overpayed cnuts take off then..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

connundrum wrote: »
    They'll claim that they don't take actual holidays during this period i.e. they'll continue with constituency work and might only take 1 or 2 weeks in the sun.

One of ours must be due to take his annual trip to the USA "to create jobs in this area by persuading the Americans to invest".

On his return to Ireland, there'll be no extra jobs here, but he will have a good tan and a bag of duty-free.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

exactly, this is an easy media story and I am surprised how agitated some of them are pretending to be...

the Dail as a place of work where things are actually done is a fantasy in our current system. The only thing done is legislation and they basically gullotine in anything controversial at the last minute anyway.

TDs in consitituencies, Ministers are still in Departments (I would guess August is generally used for some holidays by them), Public service still running, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

"Ireland’s official unemployment rate has reached its highest level in 30 minutes, according to the CSO’s latest Panicky National Survey.
    The Central Statistics Office say almost 253,015 people were officially unemployed by 11.16 a.m. this morning, an increase of almost 0.004% since approximately 10.48 a.m.
    This pushes the bi-hourly adjusted unemployment rate to 12.004%.
    The new figure was accounted for by today’s closure of a building supplier in Carlow leaving 15 people jobless.
    That meant the total number of people with jobs was down 0.0075%, or 15, between the last quarter of the 11th and the first quarter of the 12th hour this morning.
    This broadly confirms the claim by the CSO that the construction sector was the worst hit during that half hour window of economic activity.
    However, the education sector actually recorded an increase in the same time period, mostly due to the 11a.m. opening of a new language school in Galway city which is employing three people." - www.gubuwire.com

Things are just getting worse and worse:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

They should probably change the name from Dail "holidays" as it suggests they are just at home, feet up watching the telly with a beer. If anything the 'holiday' gives them time to (hopefully) do work for their constituency.

They achieve nothing in the Dail anyway so they should probably extend the holiday to around 50-52 weeks per year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

lol

Advertisement