Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not another excommunication thread

Options
  • 07-07-2009 11:40pm

Don't worry, this isn't another typical excommunication thread.

Basically, 18 or so months ago I sent my local priest a lengthy (around 8 typed pages) letter requesting my excommunication from the Catholic Church. For months and months I didn't hear anything from him; then, 6 or so months back, he met my mother somewhere and told her that he was in the process of writing a reply (which is a load of rubbish, I doubt he was/is, as I've never received a reply).

Now, skip forward to today... I've gotten word that he wishes to meet up with me -- to set me straight, from what I can gather. He isn't the nicest man in the world, he's known to be a bit of a, well... Prick, basically. So I'm not sure what I should do.

Should I met up with him, and let him attempt to set me straight (I think I could handle him if our meeting climaxed in a heated debate)? Or should I let it rest, as my desires for a formal excommunication have waned somewhat?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I've gotten word that he wishes to meet up with me
    Well, is he talking about a candle-lit dinner, or handbags at dawn on Salthill strand?

He could be just following tradition and making sure that you've not gone mad -- rather the opposite, I suspect. See the last paragraph here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actus_formalis_defectionis_ab_Ecclesia_catholica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Now, skip forward to today... I've gotten word that he wishes to meet up with me -- to set me straight, from what I can gather. He isn't the nicest man in the world, he's known to be a bit of a, well... Prick, basically. So I'm not sure what I should do.

Should I met up with him, and let him attempt to set me straight (I think I could handle him if our meeting climaxed in a heated debate)? Or should I let it rest, as my desires for a formal excommunication have waned somewhat?

Go for it, might be fun! He might not try to convert you. I wouldn't assume that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

[Useless advice]
    Emm...Follow your heart? :D
    [/Useless advice]

/Jumps through window of thread to escape

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

sure go to the meeting and record it on your phone or something. i would love to hear what he has to say. i predict a good half hour of laughs=)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Go to the meeting, but before you go, get coaching off Scofflaw or somebody and 'convert' him to Atheism.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

There's no way you're going in without a wire.

Did you have an 'almighty' rant in your letter? Sounds like it. Maybe he just wants to have a rant back at you.

Now we just need to decide what you're going to wear. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Dude ... you started it. Now you have to face up to what you did.

And yes ... I would like a copy of the recording for whatever primitive nonsense he's planning to spew at you.

Taking bets now, I'm giving odds

4:5 "You dont have to believe in god, god will believe in you!"
    3:2 "You have no proof that god doesnt exist"
    1:1 "Evolution is just a theory"
    4:3 "How do you know that evolution isnt gods mechanism?"
    7:1 "Denying the holy spirit will condemn you to hell for blasphemy!"
    150:1 "Look, I dont really believe this twoddle either but letters like yours put me in a bad position kapiche?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Or he could just want to wish you luck in life. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

If his eyes start glowing and he starts making strange gestures and chants, you should run.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Tell him if he doesn't have enough seniority to authorise your request to formally leave the church, could he give you the name of someone who can do that.

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

well done and good luck, now who was it that was so sarcastic to say i was being conspiratorial to suggest that priests would gossip about this to people's parents?

ah yes rev hellfire
    http://ww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59564398&postcount=13

i think you should contact the papers about this JD and cc his superiors.

what age are you JD ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

3:2 "You have no proof that god doesnt exist"

My money is on this one. Also, some vague nonsense about love and purpose.

You have to wear a wire. This could be the birth of an internet legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

If you've nothing better to do, go for it. I imagine it's not something that priests come across often, so he's probably looking forward to it to. He may be to get you to change your mind (your immortal soul is at stake... from his perspective) or it may be more cordial. Doubtful if that reputation is accurate I suspect...

Tell him the 'internet people' made you atheist :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Do you have a copy of the original letter? I'd really like to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Religious people love meeting people. This is because they can use empathy tricks to try to make their illogical cae seem somewhat reasonable.

This why they love having to go to africa, china wherever to do their missionary work. It would be much more cost effective and objective if they just provided bibles, books etc and let people read and think for themselves.

Just be prepared OP, they are good at these empathy tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I propose that the next A&A beers should be at wherever and whenever you have this meeting. You can tell him you are bringing some like minded friends who are interested in having a friendly chat.

robindch wrote: »
    Well, is he talking about a candle-lit dinner, or handbags at dawn on Salthill strand?

I can only dream!
    robindich wrote:
    He could be just following tradition and making sure that you've not gone mad -- rather the opposite, I suspect. See the last paragraph here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actus_formalis_defectionis_ab_Ecclesia_catholica

Maybe, maybe... But, I seriously doubt it, with him anyway. He's known to get his nose stuck in other people's -- very private -- business quite a lot.
    Dades wrote: »
    There's no way you're going in without a wire.

If I do go in I'm actually going to try and record it somehow, it might make for some good entertainment. I think I've a dictaphone lying around somewhere.
    Dades wrote:
    Did you have an 'almighty' rant in your letter? Sounds like it. Maybe he just wants to have a rant back at you.

Yah, I did. It wasn't extremely kind, either. I just had a rant against the Catholic Church, really. I'll give a look for it and post it up later.

It's a bit odd that he wishes to talk to me about it 19 months later, though.
    150:1 "Look, I dont really believe this twoddle either but letters like yours put me in a bad position kapiche?"

That one sounds most likely knowing the priest's character.
    togster wrote: »
    Or he could just want to wish you luck in life. :)

A typical, normal priest may wish to do so. But, not this fella, he isn't exactly good-willed or even kind.
    Malari wrote: »
    Tell him if he doesn't have enough seniority to authorise your request to formally leave the church, could he give you the name of someone who can do that.

:cool:

I'm not sure if I want to carry on with my formal excommunication anymore, though. It's not as if I don't want to leave the Catholic Church, but formally leaving just seems like it's a bit too much bother. I've already left it in my mind, and that's good enough for me -- at the moment, anyway.
    what age are you JD ?

Nearly 20.
    fitz0 wrote: »
    Do you have a copy of the original letter? I'd really like to see that.

It's on a hard-drive or memory stick somewhere, I'll give a root and if I find it I'll post it up here later on today.
    I propose that the next A&A beers should be at wherever and whenever you have this meeting. You can tell him you are bringing some like minded friends who are interested in having a friendly chat.

That'd be a good one! I'm sure he wouldn't mind that. I'll post the location and date as soon as I know.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Religious people love meeting people.

I think this is true for many.
    This is because they can use empathy tricks to try to make their illogical cae seem somewhat reasonable.

Maybe for some. Definately total rubbish for others.
    This why they love having to go to africa, china wherever to do their missionary work.

I hope this was an attempt at humour. If not, then you are merely ignorant.

It would be much more cost effective and objective if they just provided bibles, books etc and let people read and think for themselves.

Again, please tell me this is either an attempt at humour or a fish hook for folk like me. Please tell me you don't actually believe this sh!te talk?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

I just had a rant against the Catholic Church, really. I'll give a look for it and post it up later.

It's a bit odd that he wishes to talk to me about it 19 months later, though.

Perhaps he's looking to defect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'm not sure if I want to carry on with my formal excommunication anymore, though. It's not as if I don't want to leave the Catholic Church, but formally leaving just seems like it's a bit too much bother. I've already left it in my mind, and that's good enough for me -- at the moment, anyway.

Too bad. I'm sure that's good enough for him too. He'll probably see it as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I have a feeling the meeting would go something like this...

I don't believe I am the first to think this would be appropriate for this thread, I am just the first that found it again after searching youtube. :D

JimiTime wrote: »
    Again, please tell me this is either an attempt at humour or a fish hook for folk like me. Please tell me you don't actually believe this sh!te talk?
    I do believe it. Religion thrives on person - person communication and relationships and would be absolutely lost without it.

One of the most effective ways of converting someone is to accost them and then use empathy to manipulate them. Sales people, politicians do it all the time.

I reckon every single Christian that frequents these forums got their Christianity from having an empathy connection with someone that already claimed to be a Christian (usually parents or a friend) and they didn't get this empathy connection with any other religion which is why they never bothered seriously considering any other religion.

I reckon if you PDN, or anyone had a goal of getting 10 more Christians to your Church the most effective way for you to do this would be to meet and greet and try to connect to people in a very personable way.
    People who were at a crisis in their lifes which really needed a boost would probably be the most suseptical.

I doubt very much you'd have the same success rate, if these same people were also getting similar empathy connections from Muslims, Buddhists and Hindu's as your competitive advantage would be nullified.

I didn't believe the universe was expanding because I met some really cool people who introduced me to the idea and gave me a loan of a brief history of time. I saw documentaries about it and read a few books about it and then believed it without ever really discussing it with anyone who had a life changing experience from it.

Religion could never work this way. It needs wow wow stories which are also more effective when told in person usually by someone with charisma.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I do believe it. Religion thrives on person - person communication and relationships and would be absolutely lost without it.

One of the most effective ways of converting someone is to accost them and then use empathy to manipulate them. Sales people, politicians do it all the time.

I reckon every single Christian that frequents these forums got their Christianity from having an empathy connection with someone that already claimed to be a Christian (usually parents or a friend) and they didn't get this empathy connection with any other religion which is why they never bothered seriously considering any other religion.

I reckon if you PDN, or anyone had a goal of getting 10 more Christians to your Church the most effective way for you to do this would be to meet and greet and try to connect to people in a very personable way.
    People who were at a crisis in their lifes which really needed a boost would probably be the most suseptical.

I doubt very much you'd have the same success rate, if these same people were also getting similar empathy connections from Muslims, Buddhists and Hindu's as your competitive advantage would be nullified.

I didn't believe the universe was expanding because I met some really cool people who introduced me to the idea and gave me a loan of a brief history of time. I saw documentaries about it and read a few books about it and then believed it without ever really discussing it with anyone who had a life changing experience from it.

Religion could never work this way. It needs wow wow stories which are also more effective when told in person usually by someone with charisma.

Its not your theory on the spreading of the good news of the kingdom that I have taken exception to. Its that you ignorantly presume the motivations of those folk who dedicate themselves to helping others in other continants.

Anyway, If we get into this JD's thread will be hijacked. I only hope that you rethink your presumptions.

Guys - first off, calm down.

Tim: don't be so fast to assume that you understand the motivation of every religious propagator.

Jimi: don't name-call.

BTW, if posters enable PM's, then posts like this one don't have to be public.

Now, back on topic, please.

robindch wrote: »
    Tim: don't be so fast to assume that you understand the motivation of every religious propagator.
    I don't understand the motivation of every religious propagator. My point was the techniques they use not the motivation. This is linked to the OP's point as the Priest wants to meet him in person.

If the Priest replied to him in writing it wouldn't be as effective as actually meeting him in person.

The content's of the priests point would be the exact same if he wrote them all down, but when delivered in person, it has a much stronger effect on the receiver's brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Calibos wrote: »
    I have a feeling the meeting would go something like this...

Tasteless man.......

Can I ask why you want to be excommunicated in the first place?
    Personally, being part of the catholic church means so little to me I really couldn't be bothered. Its just another one of those things you accumulate in life.
    Have you cancelled all of your junk mail/spam subscriptions too?

Anyway, if this guy is how you say he is he probably won't be too bothered about your soul and won't arrange a meeting.

Shane_C wrote: »
    Can I ask why you want to be excommunicated in the first place?

I don't know, really. It's just something that I built up in my head, and now I feel somehow that I should fulfill it. But, to be honest, I've changed somewhat since I started the process, and now it doesn't bother me either way. I don't consider myself to be part of the Church, and I don't feel that I need official recognition that I'm not Catholic from a priest/bishop to cement that feeling.
    Anyway, if this guy is how you say he is he probably won't be too bothered about your soul and won't arrange a meeting.

That's what's funny. He wishes to meet up with me, but I feel that he only wants to do it to impose his view upon me (he's that sort of a person). I'm going to ring him in a few days anyway, so I'll post here when the date is finalised.

P.S. I've found my original excommunication letter and if anybody is interested in seeing it I'll post it here tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

That's what's funny. He wishes to meet up with me, but I feel that he only wants to do it to impose his view upon me (he's that sort of a person). I'm going to ring him in a few days anyway, so I'll post here when the date is finalised.

In preparation, just practice your blank stare. He'll bore the pants off you with quotes you have heard a thousand times before. At best he assumes you have a low IQ, at worst a heathen. Either way he'll talk down to you

I've found my original excommunication letter and if anybody is interested in seeing it I'll post it here tomorrow.
    Looking forward to it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement