Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

rattle from 08 passat "b pillar"

Options
  • 07-07-2009 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

1.9 tdi, 36k

wondering if any other v passat drivers hear an annoying rattle at their right ear while driving on semi rough surfaces at aver 10k. also appears to be coming from passenger side? from looking around, the opinion seems to be something in b pillar. Garage apparently couldnt hear it (?) but when i described issue upon booking in, said, oh yeah, b pillar.

told me to bring it another day im in town ! (yeah, with all kids in tow), sure, no probs !!

anyway, just wondering if anyone has this and managed to fix it??

Really annoying me know and have a long trip comin up and dont know of il get it to garage before that.

also, seems a bit slow to take off, sort of, foot on accel but no go for a plit second. they also said they couldnt find anything, so i thought maybe its myself, but is there such a thing as turbo lag, and if so is it easily fixed?

cheers for any help:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

magconn wrote: »
    1.9 tdi, 36k

wondering if any other v passat drivers hear an annoying rattle at their right ear while driving on semi rough surfaces at aver 10k. also appears to be coming from passenger side? from looking around, the opinion seems to be something in b pillar. Garage apparently couldnt hear it (?) but when i described issue upon booking in, said, oh yeah, b pillar.

told me to bring it another day im in town ! (yeah, with all kids in tow), sure, no probs !!

anyway, just wondering if anyone has this and managed to fix it??

Really annoying me know and have a long trip comin up and dont know of il get it to garage before that.

also, seems a bit slow to take off, sort of, foot on accel but no go for a plit second. they also said they couldnt find anything, so i thought maybe its myself, but is there such a thing as turbo lag, and if so is it easily fixed?

cheers for any help:D

Cannot help you on the rattle but the 1.9 TDi engine is quite an old unit and is well known for some turbo lag as that unit has a narrow power band. So you get nothing, then a sudden burst of power between about 1500 and 2500 rpm and then nothing again. Seemed the norm from any 1.9 TDi I drove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Gingy Fly

I have an 07 1.9TDI Highline and have never heard that noise you describe. Re the power, defo Turbo lag which is common. Get her chipped, problem solved and a SERIOUS difference to your power AND fuel consumption however, I suggest you wait until your manufacturers warranty expires (just in case she needs to go back to the garage for anything) They say the upgrade is invisible to the main dealer diagnostics tool however, I find that a bit hard to swallow.

A "guaranteed" chip upgrade will stand you approx 370 here but well worth the money. You wont look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

I have a 05 2 litre diesel, can I get this chipped?
    Is there any point, will the performance be better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Gingy Fly

Yes & yes. Big difference particularly in the take off and top end. Your fuel econemy will also be better. There is a guy in Clane, co Dublin that will do it and he is top notch !! McNamara's in Fairview Dublin also do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Should do, the 140 brake diesel can br brought up to 180 ish easily.

OP, have you had a car kit installed in the car? Had that problem in my last car in the pillar where the microphone was routed. It's probably just some lose trim or something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

EPM wrote: »
    Should do, the 140 brake diesel can br brought up to 180 ish easily.

OP, have you had a car kit installed in the car? Had that problem in my last car in the pillar where the microphone was routed. It's probably just some lose trim or something
    nope, no car kit! but the chip thing sounds cool, anyone know anywhere in galway???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

Noise in the B-pillar.

Loose bit of plastic or something. Paranoia on your part. Either or.

Also, diesels are always a little slow on the pickup... it's a consequence of the engine's basic operating principals and design, and emissions regulations frowning upon great clouds of black smoke out the exhaust.

Diesel engines are throttled only by the amount of fuel coming out of the injectors. More fuel == more power == more black smoke == health problems for some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

Dartz wrote: »
    Noise in the B-pillar.

Loose bit of plastic or something. Paranoia on your part. Either or.

Also, diesels are always a little slow on the pickup... it's a consequence of the engine's basic operating principals and design, and emissions regulations frowning upon great clouds of black smoke out the exhaust.

Diesel engines are throttled only by the amount of fuel coming out of the injectors. More fuel == more power == more black smoke == health problems for some people.
    dartz: if you have nothing constructive or helpful then dont bother...not my fault you drive a petrol banger !!!!

Advertisement